Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt: Blackened Salmon

Options

With the 4th being an off day for me, I spent a lot of time with the family at the pool and doing odd projects around the house, so we wanted an easy but tasty dinner. So what better excuse to begin exercising the rubs I got from @TN_Sister_State ? When I first opened the package, I didn’t realize that the Streamside Angler was a blackening seasoning – but when I was preparing dinner, I realized I needed to plan on making salmon two ways as the blackening spice was most likely going to be too spicy for the little one.

So – for the blackened salmon, I got the large egg set to 375, raised direct and then warmed up my Lodge Cast iron pan. Once the pan was good & warm, I added some olive oil and let that come to temp – just before smoking basically. 

Into the pan the salmon went, flesh side down (blackening spice on the meat) & I closed the egg for about 3-4 minutes. Then salmon was flipped and went another 4-5 minutes until 145 internal temp. Very easy cook for delicious results.

Oh –& on the other large egg went lemon pepper salmon on an Alder plank & some asparagus seasoned with the same lemon pepper seasoning & lemon juice. The Alder plank took about 15 minutes total – asparagus was done in 5 minutes.

No plated shots – no fancy china/food styling for this 4th of July dinner. No leftovers!

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments