Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

These slipping bands are killing me - high temp cook

Options
Happy Fourth everyone! Since we had some time I decided to try my hand at Neapolitan pizza tonight. Everything was going well and had the dome hovering above 700, first pizza came out, and then the second. Around the third I felt something had changed in the action on the lid. Checked and the bottom band had slipped down causing an underbite. I have been chasing this issue for a while (2 plus years) and thought I had it fixed. I have no idea what to do now. Carriage bolts are tightened down till they bend and the band is almost touching. Is this just something to be expected?

Any suggestions are welcome. Would love to get this one solved for good.

And one pic of the pizza

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I don't have a picture, but my bands on my eggs are even tighter. Did you stop tightening when the bolt started to bend, or when it felt really snug? Nice job on the pizza. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    At least one on the forum got them replaced by BGE under warranty for this issue.  There is a new version of the band/hinge to correct this issue
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I have the same issue, tried every trick possible over the last couple years. Ive used the proper torque, double nut, nylocs, higher grade hardware with more torque and it still does the same thing. In my opinion its just a bad design. Im hoping to get a set of the new bands soon.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    poster said:
    I have the same issue, tried every trick possible over the last couple years. Ive used the proper torque, double nut, nylocs, higher grade hardware with more torque and it still does the same thing. In my opinion its just a bad design. Im hoping to get a set of the new bands soon.
    Agree with @poster here - Ive tried everything under the sun. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    At first glance, your top band doesn't look tight enough. Buy a cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight and torque to proper specs. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    At least one on the forum got them replaced by BGE under warranty for this issue.  There is a new version of the band/hinge to correct this issue
    I did. I removed the bands, placed them on a table and took pictures to show how warped they were. Sent the pictures to BGE and got replacement bands at no charge. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If it's not leaking smoke during the cook I wouldn't worry about it.  Mine have never lined up perfectly and it works just fine.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i heated my egg to 300 dome and then tightened them after the heat soaked in....bge does not recommend this ;) it gets real bad at a1200 degree pizza cook =) double nutting, springs on the bolts etc does not work when the bands thermally expand, it only helps keep the nuts from loosening
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DynaGlide
    DynaGlide Posts: 54
    Options
    Off topic but when i cook pizza at 700 the bottom gets black and tastes awful. On the adjustable rig oval stone. 500 and it doesn't happen. Tips/suggestions?

Also my bands do the same. I don't stress over it anymore. I readjust occasionally knowing it won't last but i don't do high heat cooks regularly.
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My bolts are bent much more that those pictured. Almost like the letter "C".  My lid has never slipped.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    DynaGlide said:
    Off topic but when i cook pizza at 700 the bottom gets black and tastes awful. On the adjustable rig oval stone. 500 and it doesn't happen. Tips/suggestions?

Are you making your own dough?  If the bottom is burning there's not enough moisture in the dough.  Another option is to control the temp of your pizza stone.  Is it directly under the flames or indirect?  How long are you preheating the stone?  There's many variables in pizza making!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Franzster
    Franzster Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't have a torque wrench, so when I reset the bands I've had to do my best guess at the right ft-lbs on the wrench. May not get to the hardware store before my next cook so I'm going to tighten them down even more the next time around and see if I can get it locked in finally. Never had an issue with the top band, just the bottom which drops by a quarter to half inch back where the hinge sits.

Re the dough: agree on the moisture content. The 00 flour I used this time held up much better vs the AP or Bread flour we usually use. Finer milling so the flour can hold more water without getting gummy. Burning is still possible though, especially if you're putting down any cornmPrevieweal or semolina flour to launch off your peel. Had to brush those off between pies.