Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to cook 3 - 10 pound Pork Butts

Options
JCovender
JCovender Posts: 2
edited July 2017 in Cookbook
I have to cook 3 - 10 pound pork butts next week. How long should I cook them in the green egg. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited July 2017
    Options
    At the risk of being a bit off-center here-"til they are finished".  If bone-in, til the bone pulls clean or when the pig probes like buttah.  You should give the search function a look and then come bak with a few parameters that you are planning to cook within. Then we can provide a bit more options.
    Edit: welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    I cooked a 10.5# butt yesterday, it took 11 hours at 300 degrees F (at the dome).  Last time it was around the same weight and it took 10 hours.  From the cooks I have done, it has come out around 1 hour to 1 hour 10 ten minutes per pound.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Depends on your temp not so much how many butts . 3 should pretty much cook just like one !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    I usually do 2 at 225 grate temp.  I see a range of 14-17 hours. 
  • JCovender
    JCovender Posts: 2
    Options
    I should have stated that I'm using bone out wrapped in netting I'm planning on keeping the temp around 225 a 250. Thanks for the advice. 
  • Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    I did a 9.5 pounder this past weekend. Took 13 hours at 250. Had a meat temp stall at 150 for a few hours about 8 hours in. Wrapped in foil and that helped get the temp going again. I cook till internal temp of 195. Wrapped the foiled meat in a towel and into a cooler for a couple hours while we waited for dinner time. Turned out great