Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loving the Egg!

Was about to walk out with a gasser in May from the local dealer when I was thankfully redirected to the BGE. Became obsessed thereafter. Luckily this coincided with our local Eggfest a few weeks ago where I picked up my XL. 

Was away for a while and back now finally getting to try this out. Although I'm entirely new to cooking with charcoal this has been a fantastic move. 

First up were babybacks. Half and half Honey Hog and Swamp Venom. Smoked with Cherry and Pecan for ~3.5 hours and wrapped with butter, brown sugar, hot sauce, and honey for about an hour. Finished with Blues Hogg for about 20 minutes and I was in for a treat. Probably the best thing I've ever eaten at home. Perfect mix of sweet and heat. 

Did a second rack of dry ribs at the same time with a Memphis dust recipe I found here but didn't take any photos (still getting use to taking pictures first, not just eating). 

Next day was hamburgers - best I've eaten so far at home. Usual 80/20 chuck + Cow Lick. No pics though.

Fajitas were a slight fail. Had never bought a flatiron before. Great local butcher gave me one but I didn't realize there's a giant membrane running through it...just sort of thought it was unusally thick so reverse seared it with some oak at 250 and sear at 500. Tasty but needed to trim that membrane away so a little sloppy.

Spatchcock chicken was also delicious but I let it go a touch too long.

Will try an overnight tonight or tomorrow - going to give the Elder Ward pulled pork recipe a try.  Want to keep it authentic. 

Love watching it go. I'm spending far more time on our deck than before which is great. 

Thanks everyone for your posts - I've learned a lot from you all this past month or so!

Mike

Comments

• Welcome Mike. Already an excellent start. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    You're off to a helluva start! Congrats on the new BGE and good working breaking it in. Love the backdrop, too. I also went from gasser to BGE with almost no experience with charcoal and am glad I did.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    Welcome aboard! Wow, one of the strongest first posts I've seen here!  
    canuckland
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I'm still a Noob, but Welcome aboard and everything looks good .  Gotta get one of those...I hear girls love a nice deck. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    welcome
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    I too am a noob. I must say that pic of a brand new xl with the kick ash is making me rather jealous at the moment. Good luck and enjoy. Lots of great people in this forum to help along the way, although it looks like your doing just fine on your own!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Way to hit the road running.  There is tons of useful info here and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Get your self a nice instant read thermometer and the over done chicken problems will go away.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    Welcome! You're definitely rolling full steam ahead and off to an awesome start
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    You have just experienced the least expensive aspect of owning a BGE; the initial purchase.
    Now, wallet genocide shall begin.
    It is worth it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MikeInTO
    MikeInTO Posts: 23
    Thank you everyone!

Just bought a Thermapen and Smoke so hopefully that's the last of the dryish chicken. Should preface it by saying that was the best chicken I've ever made. Father in law thought I was crazy when I bought all my accessories - until he tried the ribs.  

It's becoming very expensive. Couldn't find butcher paper online so ordered it for an exorbitant price online. A giant roll arrived today. Should have just asked the butcher. Planning some brisket and beef ribs for my father in law's birthday. Going Aaron Franklin's method. Fingers crossed!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Strong start right there-you nailed those cooks right out of the gate.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Yeah, you'll find yourself and others just staring at it like it's a tv or campfire.  Congrats on the move.  You won't regret it.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Welcome! Outstanding first post. It looks like you're already addicted. I've had my XL for 5 years and still get excited for each cook.

My tip, find a resturant supply store, they have a lot of equipment and supplies for egging (butcher paper, pizza equipment, gloves, disposable trays).

have fun

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• MikeInTO
    Wardster said:
    Yeah, you'll find yourself and others just staring at it like it's a tv or campfire.  
    Definitely! We're started roasting marshmallows on any leftover coals. Daughter loves it. We're not much into camping and live in an urban area so this is our chunk of nature. 

lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Strong start right there-you nailed those cooks right out of the gate.  Most eggcellent.
    Thank you very much. 

abpgwolf said:
    Welcome! Outstanding first post. It looks like you're already addicted. I've had my XL for 5 years and still get excited for each cook.

My tip, find a resturant supply store, they have a lot of equipment and supplies for egging (butcher paper, pizza equipment, gloves, disposable trays).

have fun
    Thank you. Great advice. I'll try and find a restaurant supply store here in Toronto. I've gotten to know the butcher better as well this past week. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Welcome!!!  Enjoy... you are excelling right off the bat
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Strong post!  Welcome!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Awesome first post Mike. Welcome aboard.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Yes, make friend with that butcher!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Welcome aboard, I'm a newer egg owner also. The members on this site have been a great source of info while learning, they're usually good for a laugh or two as well! 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Aren't you glad you were redirected? I wonder how long it will be till you pick up a second egg!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Great cooks! Enjoy that egg!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Welcome!  Great start. Those ribs look fantastic!

Little Rock, AR

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    Wow, you are off to a great start. I got my medium in December, and have only used the house oven once since then, only because the wife's lasagna pan is too big to fit on it..
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Nice Start... And welcome aboard. Aint it cool...
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • MikeInTO
    Thanks very much everyone!

My wife thought it was an eyesore at first but now admits it's a work of art. 

We've had a string of homeruns after getting the Thermapen and haven't used our oven since!