Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend the best rub!!

Options
I typically create my own but am interested in experimenting with what is out on the market. I have read about Dizzy Pig and Sucklebusters but I am hesitant to buy everything! I like to cook all types of meats on the Egg except chicken for whatever reason so I am looking for some different types of rubs.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There is no "the best" rub because it's all subjective.  What tastes great to me might taste like garbage to you.  Being your own Mixmaster of rubs, you should know that.  Try getting a small quantity of rubs you hear about and let your palette decide.  I'm a fan of Dizzy Pig products, but there's plenty of folks with other opinions.  I've always wanted to try some Meat Church rubs, but I haven't gotten around to ordering yet.
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Fred's right, its subjective.

Dizzy Pig gets good ratings because the blends are reliably fresh, and have a very distinct flavor profile.

I've used a lot of John Henry's. Very solid. There's a place out of Milwaukee/Chicago called the Spice House. Most of their blends are good, and I'd rate their Bronzeville Galena Street rub for ribs as one of my top favorites.

There is a company out of Montreal called the Spice Trekkers. Expensive. Finest herbs and spices, come in small tins. All the types I've tried require grinding/mortar and pestle before use, so really fresh. No salt in my experience, so you get to add as much or as little as you like.

P.S. Most chicken raised in the US isn't very good. I'm fortunate 'cause there's a stand at the farmers' market that sells fresh no hormone/antibiotic chicken. Better than anything I've found in the area.  Ever try duck?
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    These are my two favorites...
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Fred's right, its subjective.

Dizzy Pig gets good ratings because the blends are reliably fresh, and have a very distinct flavor profile.

I've used a lot of John Henry's. Very solid. There's a place out of Milwaukee/Chicago called the Spice House. Most of their blends are good, and I'd rate their Bronzeville Galena Street rub for ribs as one of my top favorites.

There is a company out of Montreal called the Spice Trekkers. Expensive. Finest herbs and spices, come in small tins. All the types I've tried require grinding/mortar and pestle before use, so really fresh. No salt in my experience, so you get to add as much or as little as you like.

P.S. Most chicken raised in the US isn't very good. I'm fortunate 'cause there's a stand at the farmers' market that sells fresh no hormone/antibiotic chicken. Better than anything I've found in the area.  Ever try duck?

I just ordered The John Henry's Texas Pecan Rub .... Have you used it ??  
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    1/2 sale and 1/2 pepper is the best rub in my opinion. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I like to try different rubs also. My two go to rubs are dizzy dust coarse and salt/pepper
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Like Fred and others have stated above, it's all subjective. Myself I'm a Dizzy Pig fan, I purchased the sample pack from their website and found the ones that the family liked.  https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/complete-sampler/

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    B747crew said:

I just ordered The John Henry's Texas Pecan Rub .... Have you used it ??  
    Yes, I like it a lot. Judy's All Purpose is what it claims to be. I've enjoyed the Texas Chicken Tickler too.