Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The pizza transition to the stone

Hoster05
Hoster05 Posts: 312
in the ever evolving quest to make great pizza I have reached the point where I developed two different, go-to pizza recipes.  One is a thin crispy crust, the other has a little more rise to it.  The challenge I am now facing is the transition from peel to the stone.  I have struggled a bit with getting the pizza off the peel and onto the stone without some sticking.  I have tried using a ridiculous (in my opinion) amount of flour and that seems to work a little but then my finished product has that dry flour on the bottom.  So i am looking for suggestions from the group.  Do I pre-make the pizzas on parch paper, cook for a little bit then remove paper?  Do I use a different flour for dusting?  I am using a whole wheat flour currently.  Do I make the crust, put it on the stone then add toppings?  Any insight will be helpful.

Nate in MN 
Mankato, MN - LBGE

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited June 2017
    I make my pies on parchment paper. It's easy to pull after about a minute or so on the stone. 
    I trim the paper to the size of the pie to keep the paper from burning.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2017
    I use parchment or a pizza screen as well. I have heard that the best flour is semolina on a wooden peel to launch it.  This pic is from @Carolina Q

...notice how the semolina looks like little ball bearings. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I don't have any experience with semolina, though I am sure it works great. I did the flour and corn meal and that was OK, but like you I didn't care to have that adhere to my crust. The parchment paper is incredibly easy and can be removed halfway through and you can still get a great pizza crust.
    Stillwater, MN
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I always use just straight corn meal and don't feel that the little bit that sticks to the bottom of the crust is an issue. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    edited June 2017
    I use the Super Peel.  It's so easy to use.  I can pick up a pizza from the counter and transition to my BGE with ease.  I highly recommend this product.  

https://www.amazon.com/EXO-Polymer-Sealed-Super-Pizza/dp/B00NGOOM6K/ref=sr_1_45?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1498353487&sr=1-45&keywords=Pizza+peel

Cheers! 
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • In pizza places here in New York, pizza places use a combo of flour and semolina flour. Some people also use corn meal, its large granular firm allied for a pizza to really slide off of the peel to stone and then stone to peel.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • BGnogin
    BGnogin Posts: 76
    How long are you letting the pizza sit on the peel before you put it on the egg?  I have had great luck with a light dusting of flour or cornmeal. However if I take too long to make the pie or have it sit too long o know the peel I end up with a little sticking.  Also, make sure the peel is dry.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    Parchment is always an option for lower temp pizza cooks. If you want to do it the traditional way,flip your wrist in a quick J motion to get the pizza sliding off the peel. That's how the Italians do it. I suggest making some dough and practicing without the expense and stress of the toppings going everywhere. After a couple tries, you'll get the motion down pat. 
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Another vote for parchment paper. I sprinkle a little corn meal on it before putting the pizza on (very small amount). Then I also put a little cornmeal on the peal before putting the parchment paper with the pizza on top. Probably overkill but it works
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Best choice is semolina, second best choice is semolina, and third best choice is semolina.  Parchment works very well for getting the pizza off the peel but requires you to open the egg mid cook to pull the parchment before it burns.  Go with semolina.  Cornmeal works for getting the pizza off the peel but leaves a cornmeal taste on the pizza.  Go with semolina.  Plain flour will work if you move fast - it will adsorb moisture from the dough and stick to the peel if you hesitate.  Go with semolina. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BigSmoooke
    BigSmoooke Posts: 23
    +1 on the parchment paper... also makes it easier if you are doing multiple pies, I set em up like ducks in a row
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Parchment is always an option for lower temp pizza cooks. If you want to do it the traditional way,flip your wrist in a quick J motion to get the pizza sliding off the peel. That's how the Italians do it. I suggest making some dough and practicing without the expense and stress of the toppings going everywhere. After a couple tries, you'll get the motion down pat. 
    I know this makes sense, but I just don't think I would be able to put dough on without toppings. I just couldn't do it, so unnatural.
  • andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    light dusting of flour on the peel works great. Just make sure to shake the peel to make sure the crust isn't stuck before adding toppings.

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Best choice is semolina, second best choice is semolina, and third best choice is semolina.  Parchment works very well for getting the pizza off the peel but requires you to open the egg mid cook to pull the parchment before it burns.  Go with semolina.  Cornmeal works for getting the pizza off the peel but leaves a cornmeal taste on the pizza.  Go with semolina.  Plain flour will work if you move fast - it will adsorb moisture from the dough and stick to the peel if you hesitate.  Go with semolina. 
    Soooo you're saying, use semolina ?
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    You might also try throwing the crust on for just a minute or two before loading. That, and cornmeal have gotten me through many, if not all, bakes. I'm going the parchment way next time though.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Hoster05
    i've used parchment in the past several times and it works great but it also causes you to open the lid (1) extra time per pie.  Last weekend made 4 pizzas, the extra times opening i think caused the grill to stay around 450 degrees, not the 600-650 which is where I started at.  I will buy some semolina next time at the store and try that out.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I use the pizza "screen". I put the rolled/tossed dough onto screen then do toppings. Into egg for a few minutes then use a peel to move pizza direct to stone.  Helps me create perfect size/round pizza (stretch dough to near edges), reusable.  Easier in my opinion that even parchment paper or semolina.  
    https://www.amazon.com/Winware-16-Inch-Seamless-Aluminum-Screen/dp/B001CI8VHS   

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Use a combo of semolina and flour on your peel.  Enough to coat. 
    Open doughball and work quickly.
    From stretched dough to launch, maybe 5 minutes.  Have your cheese, toppings mis en place.
    Oil dough to protect and prevent sauce from soaking through and sticking to peel with a pastry brush, I use a Misto EVOO sprayer.  Shake, jerk slightly forward and back, to keep it loose.
    Add sauce.  Shake, jerk..
    Add cheese.  Shake.
    Add toppings.  Shake again.
    Egg should be on standby ready to roll.
    Shake again right before launch.
    Shake and hold peel at a slight angle while launching.  It should slide off easily. 

Parchment is for pansies.
    Screens are for resting post bake.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Semolina for transfer from peel to stone using a metal or wooden peel. I have both. These days my tendency is to use the metal peel to launch and retrieve. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Focker said:
    Use a combo of semolina and flour on your peel.  Enough to coat. 
    Open doughball and work quickly.
    From stretched dough to launch, maybe 5 minutes.  Have your cheese, toppings mis en place.
    Oil dough to protect and prevent sauce from soaking through and sticking to peel with a pastry brush, I use a Misto EVOO sprayer.  Shake, jerk slightly forward and back, to keep it loose.
    Add sauce.  Shake, jerk..
    Add cheese.  Shake.
    Add toppings.  Shake again.
    Egg should be on standby ready to roll.
    Shake again right before launch.
    Shake and hold peel at a slight angle while launching.  It should slide off easily. 

Parchment is for pansies.
    Screens are for resting post bake.  
    I only shake it and jerk it that much when I'm alone...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Light dustimg of bench flour, constantly shaking the pie to make sure it is t sticking anywhere and shortest time possible on peel (form, stretch, place dress and xfer to the stone should be 45 seconds)    if the dough sits on the peel for a minute or longer, it will stick in spots even with tons of bench flour

No cornmeal in my process because it burns easily at the temperatures i cook at...
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Raymont said:
    I use the pizza "screen". I put the rolled/tossed dough onto screen then do toppings. Into egg for a few minutes then use a peel to move pizza direct to stone.  Helps me create perfect size/round pizza (stretch dough to near edges), reusable.  Easier in my opinion that even parchment paper or semolina.  
    https://www.amazon.com/Winware-16-Inch-Seamless-Aluminum-Screen/dp/B001CI8VHS   
    @Raymont somehow after following your link I now have this pizza screen on its way to my house (my best guess is that I left it open on my phone and must have fat fingered the buy with 1 click button).

At only $10, I'm considering keeping it even though I don't really need it, do you use this on the standard large pizza stone, is that an issue that it's bigger in diameter.  Do you really need to put the pizza direct on the stone when you are using this?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Hoster05
    made some pizzas last night and used the semolina for the transition.  Worked well one 1 pie and not so great on the other.  I've been having issues with the dough being really sticky lately.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Made some pizzas this weekend and did cornmeal on a wooden pizza server, put some cornmeal on the pizza stone itself. Very easy to transition and no burning on the bottom of my crust
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited July 2017
    I still use parchment.  90% of the time I make pizza, we have a crowd over and everyone gets in on making pizzas.  They agonize over toppings and placement, so topping quickly and moving to the egg quickly is just impossible.  The paper helps where no amount of cornmeal or semolina would prevent the pizza sticking to the peel or whatever we spread the dough on.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I just use a little corn meal on a wooden pizza peel to launch and the metal peel to remove the pizza from the stone. Never had the pizza stick.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Legume said:
    I know this makes sense, but I just don't think I would be able to put dough on without toppings. I just couldn't do it, so unnatural.
    Just tell yourself you're making nan instead of pizza.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• no brainer - parch paper, done.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    after 20 pies there was either enough knife cuts in the wooden peel to hold the proper amount of flour, or i just got better at it =) its kinda like flipping food in a fry pan with a backwards snap, your either all in or youve got a mess
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it