Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe to eat?

I started a pork butt last night.  I had the temp dialed in to 250 and it was chugging along.  Went to bed around 11:00, and the IT of the roast was 125-130ish. At some point overnight, the Maverick receiver died.  I woke up at 5:00am this morning and came outside to check.  The Egg must have snuffed itself out because the grid temp was below 100.  IT of the roast was 98.  I stirred the coals and got the grid temp back to 350-ish.  

The plan is to wrap it in tin foil and turbo cook it until it hits an IT of 200.  

Is this safe?  I have no idea how long the grill was snuffed out.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    No one knows if it's safe. Some will tell you "it's ok you're cooking it to 165 and everything dies instantly at that temperature." True- but what you can't account for are the heat stable toxins those bugs made while living at temps between 40 and 140. 

Im usually pretty cavalier and would keep on cooking. But in this case if it were me I'd grab a new butt and just turbo the sucker. You'll have it done in no time with no fear of poisoning anyone. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    @nolaegghead would know.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @nolaegghead would know.
    I heard he and Scotty are out getting tats this morning
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited June 2017
    Pitch it, not worth the risk. Go buy another and cook it at 350 and it will still be done in time for dinner. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Thanks guys!  The lunch crowd will be disappointed, but it's not worth the risk.  Much appreciated!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• THEBuckeye
    blind99 said:
    @nolaegghead would know.
    I heard he and Scotty are out getting tats this morning

Perhaps but I doubt it.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Had the same thing happen with 60lbs on it. thought about it for a little and decided that it wasn't worth anyone getting sick.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I get almost as depressed when I see an "Is it safe" thread as I get excited when I see a "new table" thread
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Not related to BBQ, but 35 years ago when I was on a dirt poor budget, I was living on frozen chicken pot pies. I would buy them and stock the refrigerators freezer.
    When I came home one night after work, I discovered the freezer door wasn't closed. Much to my dismay, I found all my pot pies had completely thawed and were at room temperature.

I decided to roll the dice and cook two of them for supper.

I'm sure you have guessed how this ends. You are correct if you guessed food poisoning.

If have never been this sick before or since.

Now, I'm the food safety police. I keep a bottle of bleach at the ready on the kitchen counter at all times. I'm always at the ready to wipe down a counter or cutting board. Raw chicken is a 3 alarm event. I may die of bleach poisoning, but it won't be from food poisoning.

Food poisoning is serious business. 
  • DoubleEgger
    GregW said:
    Not related to BBQ, but 35 years ago when I was on a dirt poor budget, I was living on frozen chicken pot pies. I would buy them and stock the refrigerators freezer.
    When I came home one night after work, I discovered the freezer door wasn't closed. Much to my dismay, I found all my pot pies had completely thawed and were at room temperature.

I decided to roll the dice and cook two of them for supper.

I'm sure you have guessed how this ends. You are correct if you guessed food poisoning.

If have never been this sick before or since.

Now, I'm the food safety police. I keep a bottle of bleach at the ready on the kitchen counter at all times. I'm always at the ready to wipe down a counter or cutting board. Raw chicken is a 3 alarm event. I may die of bleach poisoning, but it won't be from food poisoning.

Food poisoning is serious business. 
    Agree. I got salmonella at a restaurant in South Carolina. It was horrible. Far worse than kidney stones. 
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    edited June 2017
    Is it safe????  Nah
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I had a bison burger at a Fuddruckers in South Miami.  Not sure what I was thinking when a co worker mentioned after the fact that the buffalo burger was probably not a real fast mover off the shelves in Miami.  Needless to say, I went on a 36 hour weight loss program.  Not fun.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Big drop into the unsafe zone, not even a chance I would risk that.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • DoubleEgger
    Just be glad it wasn't a SRF brisket. I had the Stoker crap out in the middle of the night. Luckily the brisket survived but it was less than stellar. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    When in doubt, throw it out.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SaltySam
    It made the trash smell mighty fine.  

(That is the first, and likely last time I have ever said that)

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd totally fire up the grill and resume cooking.  The risk of enterotoxins is very low as the salt in the rub will retard it and all bacteria have been killed once you're done.

The biggest problem will be you won't enjoy it because you'll be paranoid you'll get sick.  If that's the case, throw it away.

I don't know how our species survived prior to refrigeration.

I think as long as you are drinking bourbon while you eat you will be fine. I would have kept cooking and rolled the dice. Although I drink enough to kill most things.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • THEBuckeye
    I knew he'd know.....
    New Albany, Ohio 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A late comment on this thread.
    Here's a site:

https://pmp.errc.ars.usda.gov/default.aspx

that will calculate growth and death rates for various pathogens in various heat, pH, sodium. etc environments.

Its worth looking over to get an idea how much hazard there might be from food that has dropped beneath the "safe" temperature of 140F. Actually, the temp is just above 126F, from what I've read, but the time it takes to kill the pathogen measures many hours, not just a few minutes, and the growth rate of cooked but re-infected food is likewise hours.

While I do agree w. "When in doubt..." having a decent understanding the nasties grow and die lessens a lot of doubt.

The 1 thing that must be avoided is a large does of a certain strain of Staph. The toxin does not break down until around 250F, at which point most food isn't worth eating. Other toxins are wiped out in a temp range from 140 to 190, so meat taken to pulling temp should be safe.

As a BTW, I knew a guy who had a small cafe who grew up in a small village in Lebanon that had no refrigeration. They only had meat once a week, on the day the animal was butchered, because that was as long as they could keep anything.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i would have finished cooking and eaten that. there are people that make raw pork sandwiches in the morning, leave them out and eat them at lunch in this world ;)  you have salt on it, smoke on it, gave it heat to kill most of the bugs, and it was sitting in a practically sterile environment. i am not sure what restaurants do to make us sick, but they do :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I would have finished cooking and eaten. FWIW. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SaltySam
    It's probably still in the trash can.  Plan is:

1. Dust off banana peels and coffee grounds
    2. Reapply rub
    3. Double wrap in foil 
    4. Insert probe from Maverick into roast
    5. Bring Egg to 350
    6. Put roast on
    7. Drink heavily
    8. Forget that Maverick is dead
    9.  Take roast to an IT of 325
    10. Place roast back in trash can

Thanks for all the feedback, fellas.  It was a $9.00 lesson learned.  I know I can salvage it next time. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE