Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought my Egg!!! Where to by accessories? What to buy?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got one of the local dealers to come down over fifty dollars, so I'm happy. My brand new large will be on my deck by 6 PM tomorrow!!!!![p]Here are my questions: Where is the best online place to buy accessories. Neither of my locals have much to speak of. [p]Second: What should my accessory order be. I guess I'm going to be like the normal person to begin with and try the burger and steak thing, but I'm going to be doing a lot of chicken and I want to try pizza soon.

Comments

• You will need a setter if you want ash tool and iron grid for stakes
    Setter is nice for slow cooking as well as oven cooking
    ash tool is a must
    The iron grid makes stakes to die for. I but my egg 3 weeks ago and I cooked 7 stakes on it and they turned out just flawless..[p]I saw some stuff on Ebay but nothing of my liking.
    Try to search google or ask.com for accessories.[p]Best of luck
    Alan

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    FSUScotsman,
    You could always call Atlanta and order straight from the mothership.[p]Check with the local shops and tellem what you want to see how long it would take for them to get it. In my experience it is several weeks so I've ordered from the mothership.

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    Starting right off, I would suggest just getting 1) the plate setter for indirect cooking and 2) daisy wheel which helps control the temperature and smoke output. If you've got small hands/fingers, I would omit the ash cleaning tool.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    FSUScotsman,[p]If you are going to do steaks, you'll need some long gloves to keep your forearms from being singed (sp?). Just a second above a 300 degree fire will crisp the hair right off.[p]For the pizza, you'll need either a place setter of fire brick splits, and a pizza stone. My experience is that too big of a stone contributes to burnt gaskets. That is, a 14" stone in a 15" medium pushes all the heat right next to the gasket.[p]After that, I'd suggest buying a grill extender, or making a raised grill. And a remote thermometer. And a V-rack. And a MAPP gas torch for quick lighting. And a fish/veggie grill. And...well the list can be quite long.[p]gdenby

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    gdenby,
    I'm new to the Egg, a recent convert from gas.[p]I have found the ash tool extremely handy-I'd get it. Besides cleaning the ash I use it for stirring the old ash before adding new lump and adjusting the daisy wheel when it's hot.[p]Build yourself a raised grid either with firebricks or carriage bolts (it's easy even for the mechanically challenged). I use it a lot, but I don't have a plate setter.[p]I have ordered a plate setter, but don't have it yet. Probably buy a Weber replacement grill and a plate setter and you'll have yourself covered for cooking spatchcock chicken, chicken parts, ribs, steaks, some vegetables, etc. on the Egg. When you have the plate setter, I don't suppose you'd need the separate raised grill setup so much. [p]And get a pizza stone if you want to do Pizza or bread.[p]I have a pair of pliers (the two-position adjustable kind)that I use for lifting the grill. works perfect.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning FSUScotsman:[p]Welcome to the cult! My son lives in Tallahassee and has a large also. I'm not sure where he buys accessories (or if he even has since he doesn't have many). [p]Mark your calendar for the Florida EggFest on March 17th at Silver River State Park just outside Ocala. There will be more info posted probably after the first of the year.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    FSUScotsman,
    Please take a little time and make sure the Egg is put together correctly and the bands are nice and tight.
    Please do not assume the BBQ place knows how or took the time to do it right. Check the "Naked whiz" site or post here with questions. Accessories will not matter if your dome falles out.
    Have fun,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    FSUScotsman, let's see - a FSUScotsman - that makes you a McNole? I guess a tartan loincloth would look good on Osceola . Enjoy the large. I suspect you will have a lot of the away game gatherings at your house from now on.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    the raised grid is still good (even when you have a platesetter ) for doing things like chicken or shrimp direct, but at more of a distance from the lump.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby,[p]What is a MAPP gas torch???[p]Will long tongs work instead of gloves?
  • Wise One,[p]LOL!!!![p]As a matter of fact....Osceola's grandfather was...A SCOTSMAN!!! [p]And you bet I will!!! Can you grill haggis on an Egg????

• FSUScotsman,
    MAPP, some methylacetylene????mix sold in 16 oz cans in loews and home depot for about $40 with a torch head. It will have your fire started in about five minutes. Some prefer a propane rig, but does not burn as hot as MAPP, also some types of charcoal will snap, crackle and pop with MAPP. Might want those gloves. hehe

• Richard,[p]OH WOW!!! This could help solve my pyromaniac tendencies!!!
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hey FSUScotsman,
    I thought when I was getting the egg I was minimizing. Ha ha. The first thing is the platesetter. I would also take a look at the Lawn Ranger web site. Mike has alot of great stuff. (i.e. ash remover, a probe to stir up the lit lump from beneath and a long probe to stir the lump thru the grate from above. Don't forget his grill-lifter) I have a couple of V racks, fish spatula and a nice rib rack. Check out your local dollar store for things like rib racks, V racks and drip pans. I use a chimney for lighting the lump. (a weber because it is pretty large) On sale at Menards was a pair of engineer gloves (that cover the wrist and have a leather palm and fingers) Also search around and get a pair of welders gloves. They will come up to your elbows and the first time that fire leaps out and you have them on, you won't care how much they cost. Surprisingly you can get these at ACE. One of the final things is I got a standard size plastic bucket and a canvas tool belt for the bucket at Menards. Now all my tools are all together and it is just one trip to take them out and put them away. Anyhow good luck.
    billyg
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    My list of essentials (don't know how many are included in the package you bought):

grid lifter
    plate setter
    pizza stone
    daisy wheel top
    ash tool