Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward’s World Class Brisket Really Is!

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Chunk-O-Chest that I made yesterday was flat out awesome. It took about six and a half-hours to cook and it came out better tan I could ever have hoped. Keep in mind that this is only the Second brisket that I have ever cooked. The last one did not turn out very well, so it not on my list to try anytime soon. When I went to the West Side Market Friday morning, I stopped at my usual beef stand that deals in only choice or better meat. I asked if they had any brisket because I did not see any in the case. They told me that if I could wait for about ten minutes, they go to the locker and cut one out for me. I continued with my shopping and returned to find a beautiful brisket waiting for me. I decide that I only wanted the flat and not the point just in case it did not turn out. The 3.75-pound flat had a nice fat cap and was very lean otherwise. Now I was excited.[p]In reading through the meal plan, Tanker Tim’s BBQ Beans were next on the list. I am not a fan of canned beans, so I headed over the Spice Stand and picked up a pound of dried Great Northern Beans and some fresh chili powder.[p]Upon arriving home, it put one cup of the beans on for a quick soak. This is merely washing the beans covering them with water, boil for five minutes and the cover with the heat off for one hour. The next step was to make the rub for the brisket. I hauled out my coffee grinder and went to adding the ingredients. The rub smelled great.[p]Then it was outside to fire Mr. Egg. Before I left for the market, I had placed a large chunk of Red Oak and a large chunk of Hickory to soak. I cracked open a fresh bag of BGE Lump and lit the egg. Despite suggestions otherwise, I decided to cook the brisket over direct heat, more on this later. I caked on the rub to the Brisket per the directions and put it on an adjustable V-rack. The egg was up to 275 and I put the wood and the brisket on.[p]Now for the beans, given the timing of the meal and the fact that I was starting with dried beans, I decided not to egg the beans. I pulled out something that I have not used in a long, my Bean Pot. A Bean Pot is a tall round porcelain crock with a small opening at the top and lid. It cooks beans very well in an oven. What I intended to make was Tanker Tim’s BBQ Beans, but they became much more. The problem that I had was that I did not have a bacon or salt pork, but I did have some Cajun Tasso Ham. I ended up combining two recipes and in a nutshell here is what went into the beans. The ham was my special touch[p]¼ lb. Tasso Ham, thinly sliced
1 cup dried Great Northern Beans, soaked
1 cup ketchup
¼ cup Blackstrap Molasses, unsulphered
¼ cup Tropical Honey (a different story)
1 tablespoon of Torbindo Sugar
1 tablespoon of dry mustard
1 tablespoon of coarse spicy brown mustard
¼ cup of the Brisket Rub
1 onion, sliced and caramelized
1 onion, sliced
1 can of beer, Coors Extra Gold Lager
water to cover[p]I lined the bottom of the bean pot with the ham and the gently placed the drained beans and both onions on top. I mixed the beans and onions softly with hand so that I did not disturb the ham. Next, I combined the rest of the ingredient, except the beer and water and just poured the mixture over the beans. I then poured the beer over everything. I used water to bring up the liquid level so that it was just over everything. I put the top on and put it in the oven at 300. I figured that it would take about four or five hours to cook. There is a very important note, do not let the beans get dry. If you need to add some more beer or water, do so. Check after two hours and every half-hour after that.[p]I made the sauce per the recipe and put it on a low temperature to simmer for a couple of hours.[p]The only thing left to do was sit, wait and drink beer. The brisket had been on for almost two hours and the beans were cooking. I kept the temperature between 250 and 300 depending on my mood at the time.[p]After what seemed like an eternity, everything was ready. The Brisket hit 202 in about 6.5 hours and the beans were ready and thick. I do not like runny beans. I pulled the brisket off the Egg and noticed that I still had a good bit of unburned oak and hickory. I took the meat off of the rack, covered it with foil on a cutting board and let it rest for 15 minutes. After that time I saw a good sign, there were juices dripping off of the cutting board. I sliced the meat at an angle and it was very tender. As usual, I had to watch for little fingers stealing scraps as I was cutting, another good sign. Because I had cooked the meat direct, the bottom was very well done and crusty, something that I personally love. The meat was tenderer than some roast beef that you will get. If I did not tell you, you would never know that it was brisket.[p]The meal called for plain rice. I did not make it, but it would have fit nicely. Thanks to Elder Ward for sharing.[p]Here endth the reading,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    One day you will learn the real truth

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, In the days B.E. (Before Egg), whenever there was a family gathering I would get the assignment of baked beans (now it's always some cut of meat from the Egg!). I think the reason was that I always used the Great Northerns as opposed to the regular white pea beans. They make a great baked bean and are well worth searching out and paying a little extra. Will have to try out that recipe as I too have a bean pot that was handed down to me by my grandmother. I've made 3 briskets in my 'career', all 15 hours plus, and all pretty good, but haven't hit on a magic formula yet. As a note, I've become a big fan of the point piece; a little fattier, but maybe that makes it a little more forgiving and usually a real treat.
    BBQfan1

• Uncle Dave
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I posted this a couple of weeks ago. Melt in your mouth brisket. I looked at this recipe and told my BGE dealer he was crazy. And sometimes he is BUT this works. At the 5 hr mark the brisket will be almost too done. It can be cut with a plastic fork. Go to outdoorhome.com and find this. This crazy mix of onions sugar beer just breaks down the tough cut. try it it's better than 15 HRS. gOOD lUCK