Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Andouille Sausage Recipe

lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,708
Looking for any favorite recipes to add Andouille to my Sausage Skills....Andouille does not make it to the west coast so looking for your favorites
Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    @20stone has a recipe.  We made some a few weeks ago.

I haven't tasted it since then, but the breakfest patty sample we cooked was outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Hopefully he will chime in, or was that recipe posted?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    He got it from a book. Here's the collection he had out when we made it.  I don't think it is posted. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Foghorn said:
    He got it from a book. Here's the collection he had out when we made it.  I don't think it is posted. 

I have the one in the green cover, has some , what seems to be, great recipes...hoping to find a tried and true one...most in the books are great with some minor tweaking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I'll post it later today
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • @20stone did you end up posting the sausage recipe?  I'd be interested in it as well.  Thanks!
    MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
    ig: dewsouthbbq

• lkapigian

From Nola Cuisine

Andouille Sausage Recipe

5# Pork (I prefer a Boston Butt) Trimmed of tough connective tissue and cut into 2 inch cubes.

• Combine the following in a bowl:
      2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste (Remember, if you make it too hot, every dish you make with it will be too hot! Start off with a little, you can add more after you taste the finished seasoning)
      1 Tbsp Paprika
      1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
      1/8 Cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
      3 Tbsp Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
      1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
      1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
      1 healthy pinch Cure #1 (1 tsp. of “cure” per 5# of meat)
      1/2 Cup Ice Water

Toss this mixture with the meat, making sure it is well coated. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

**Note – Prague Powder#1 is used for wet curing meats, to retain color and freshness. It is a ratio of 16 oz. salt to 1 ounce sodium nitrate.

Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces and grind the other half with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with:

1/8 Cup Non-Fat Powdered Milk (this is a binder)

Stuff the sausage into prepared Hog Casings (Beef middle casings if you can find them). Here is my method of Linking Sausage.

Tie each sausage link with kitchen string to make a loop for hanging. Hang uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. This step is to let the casings dry out to allow smoke absorption, very important.

I smoked this at 130º F for 2 hours, then increased the heat to 165º F for another 2 1/2 hours, refreshing the wood chips as needed. The trick here, is to get as much smoke flavor into the sausage before it is actually cooked through, and too hot of a temperature will render the fat out of your sausage. I controlled the temp by the number of coals, and keeping them piled up and pushed to one side. When you spread your coals out the temperature will increase. I added more coals to reach the 165º F mark.

The internal temperature of the sausage should read 155º F on an instant read thermometer. Remove at this point and immediately spray with cold water. Hang at room temperature in front of a fan for 1 hour then refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • @lkapigian Excellent, thank you!
    MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
    ig: dewsouthbbq

• 20stone
    edited September 2017
    @20stone did you end up posting the sausage recipe?  I'd be interested in it as well.  Thanks!
    I came across this thread looking for alternate andouille recipes, and see I dropped the ball.  For our andouille, I took the recipe from Ruhlman's book (p 154), though I have modified the salt to my taste (a bit lower than his).  Also, I scale everything (in both meanings of the word), and have a spreadsheet converting all my sausage recipes to percentages of weight, so I can easily adjust to the quantity of meat I have on hand.

Andouille (Ruhlman, w 20stone salt quantities)
    Pork - 2.25 kg (5 lbs)
    kosher salt - 28 g
    cure 1 - 5.6 g (note the decimal)
    cayenne - 6 g
    thyme - 1 g
    mace - 2 g
    cloves - 2 g
    Colemans - 3 g
    diced onion - 140 g
    minced garlic - 18 g

FWIW, in looking at it, I think I'll like @lkapigian 's recipe better than mine.

His process works as well, though I don't see the value of fridging the meat for 1-2 days.  I just mix and then throw in the freezer for a few minutes to make sure I am grinding cold.

Sausage making tip - You can really play around with all the ingredients except for salt and cure.  I have found that I like salt at 1.25% of the meat weight and Cure 1 at 0.25%.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    20stone said:
    @20stone did you end up posting the sausage recipe?  I'd be interested in it as well.  Thanks!
    I came across this thread looking for alternate andouille recipes, and see I dropped the ball.  For our andouille, I took the recipe from Ruhlman's book (p 154), though I have modified the salt to my taste (a bit lower than his).  Also, I scale everything (in both meanings of the word), and have a spreadsheet converting all my sausage recipes to percentages of weight, so I can easily adjust to the quantity of meat I have on hand.

Andouille (Ruhlman, w 20stone salt quantities)
    Pork - 2.25 kg (5 lbs)
    kosher salt - 28 g
    cure 1 - 5.6 g (note the decimal)
    cayenne - 6 g
    thyme - 1 g
    mace - 2 g
    cloves - 2 g
    Colemans - 3 g
    diced onion - 140 g
    minced garlic - 18 g

FWIW, in looking at it, I think I'll like @lkapigian 's recipe better than mine.

His process works as well, though I don't see the value of fridging the meat for 1-2 days.  I just mix and then throw in the freezer for a few minutes to make sure I am grinding cold.

Sausage making tip - You can really play around with all the ingredients except for salt and cure.  I have found that I like salt at 1.25% of the meat weight and Cure 1 at 0.25%.

I altered a bit but here was the final product 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    What alterations did you make?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    20stone said:
    What alterations did you make?
    @20stone here was my final

x 3 on the items below

12 lbs pork shoulder (butt) 
    3 LBS Hard Pork Fat
    10 tablespoons crushed and chopped fresh garlic
    3 tablespoons medium grind black pepper
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
    4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1 cup ice water
    1 teaspoon Prague powder or Instacure #1

Here is the link I posted

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1207449/ot-my-homemade-andouille#latest

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • http://www.aidells.com/product/5

Aidell's makes some great Andouille!

His company is in Northern California in San Lorenzo.  East bay.  Great stuff.