Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid trouble

Options
Hi All, I have been egging for about 2 1/2 years. Tonight I noticed that the lid was leaking smoke and it seemed to be not aligned properly. This is the first time that I have noticed this problem. I am hoping that the fine people of this forum might have a idea or 2 for me. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    2 solid points come to mind.

faulty gasket

planes issue

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tferk
    tferk Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks , what is a planes issue and what do I do about that?
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    A picture or two would help
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • tferk
    Options
    Been thinking about a new gasket
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    tferk said:
    Thanks , what is a planes issue and what do I do about that?
    Too many overhead flights will affect the gravitation pull of your hinges and knock your dome out of alignment.  The FAA has a BGE page where you can fill out a form and designate your property as a no-fly zone (I think it's linked from the drone pages).  It took care of mine right away.
    NOLA
  • tferk
    Options
    sorry if I sound stupid but I thought I could get some help here
  • RRP
    Options
    tferk said:

First - Inspect your gaskets - at 2.5 years with the OEM gaskets they have out lived their useful life! But, hey, what do I know about gaskets?  ;)

If you really think those gaskets are OK - which I doubt then as I suggested your planes are probably out of whack. I mean they are NOT sitting down properly, meaning one side is making SOLID contact before the other side typically 180º opposite is thereby holding the offending area up with an air leak. First figure out where the space is and how much. IOW is the back sitting down first or vice versa?

Then depending on which do this. For instance if the back is sitting down leaving the front open...

Place 1 or more quarters on the gasket edge at the back and close your dome. Then loosen your band and press down. That should raise the rear a bit, but tilt the front of your dome downward. Tighten bolts, then remove the quarters. Since the gasket will absorb some of that thickness when compressed you might want to start with at least 2 quarters or even 3.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've re-seated my domes many times. The bands heat up, and expand a bit, and when the dome is opened, there can be some slipping. This can happen after really high temp sears. Once cool, the band is then gripping, but not quite flat. Look, and make sure the dome band is up against the ridge in the dome. If not, loosen the bolt with the dome down. While holding the dome down, pull up on the handle till the band is pushed against the ridge. Re-tighten.

Ass RRP mentions, it might just be the gaskets are burning away.

I've also had a couple of times when one or more of the hinge bolts have loosened, which made a gap at the rear of the dome. When that happened, I could hear a small twang from the spring when opening and closing. Needed to go over every bolt mounting the hinge to be sure they were tight. Was able to find 1 or 2 that needed cranking down.
  • tferk
    Options
    Thank you for all your help,  I have read on here that Rutland Gaskets are a excellent choice.  What is the best place to get these?  tightening the lid bolts is a bit intimidating, tighten too much? any concerns?

Thanks again
  • RRP
    Options
    tferk said:
    Thank you for all your help,  I have read on here that Rutland Gaskets are a excellent choice.  What is the best place to get these?  

Gosh - if you have read about those Rutlands then maybe "they" mentioned a source for the last 15 years, but hey...maybe not... ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    tferk said:
    Thank you for all your help,  I have read on here that Rutland Gaskets are a excellent choice.  What is the best place to get these?  tightening the lid bolts is a bit intimidating, tighten too much? any concerns?

Thanks again
    Sorry your getting all the flip flop.
    You do kinda have to read between the lines here to get help at times.
    @RRP in the above post can hook you up with a rutland gasket. And he can provide all the instructions for proper install. Just click his header name and send him a message. And maybe he was nice enough to already send you a private message instead of just a winking emoji.
    Hang in there and welcome. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I completely agree @Photo Egg Most people visiting don't live on the forum. Than they get the run around on answers like they should know. I can see how someone could get frustrated just looking for basic answers. 
    Photo Egg said:
    tferk said:

Thanks again
    Sorry your getting all the flip flop.
    You do kinda have to read between the lines here to get help at times.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I agree that @RRP is the source for a new gasket. I used him as well. Regarding the tightening of the bolts, when I went around and tightened mine (and I do it when I get bored) I typically use a socket wrench and one hand. I dont put my weight on it, just my arm strength. In other words, not SUPER tight. In the past I have found where one or two have loosened up a half turn or so. Most are still tight.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    tferk said:
    Hi All, I have been egging for about 2 1/2 years. Tonight I noticed that the lid was leaking smoke and it seemed to be not aligned properly. This is the first time that I have noticed this problem. I am hoping that the fine people of this forum might have a idea or 2 for me. Thanks in advance.
    @tferk What size is your egg? 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    tferk said:
    There's a lot of good people with good info here. And c'mon what @buzd504 said  was funny. The instructions for tightening the band bolts says the bolt will break before the lid will. Usually you tighten them until the bolt bends. I'm sure someone has the actual torque specs. Welcome to the club and most importantly have fun here. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think Ron needs a gasket trophy.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Legume said:
    I can get plenty of butt gaskets from our bathroom here at work.  Something like that?

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    Options
    Legume said:
    naw - I have this belt instead  =)

• tferk
    Options
    I would like to thank EVERYONE for their help. I don't want to sound like I have a thin skin but don't want to be a bother either.  Thanks again.
    P.S. I have a LGE
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    tferk said:
    I would like to thank EVERYONE for their help. I don't want to sound like I have a thin skin but don't want to be a bother either.  Thanks again.
    P.S. I have a LGE
    This video might help, though it's a much older egg design. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg

There is a great step by step guide on how to align an XL on this forum, but obviously not relevant for you. Anyways, hopefully the video helps. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)