Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Bologna

Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently, I've noticed on several of the food channel shows dealing with tailgating, grilling etc, people have been smoking large chunks of bologna. Has anybody tried this? Is it worth the effort?[p]Carl T

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Carl T,
    Never tried smoking any but have fried it. Good stuff. If grillng it is half as good frying it I say go for it.

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    JJ,[p]On the show I saw this on, there was a guy with a large trailered smoker. Right next to the ribs and butts, he had several large sections of bologna. They had an attractive looking crust. I remember fried bologna. On toast with mustard and a slice of cheese, it's pretty decent. But then my wife says I will eat anything.[p]Carl T

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Carl T,
    I will get a slab of bologna tomorrow at Wally World and throw it on my EGG while doing some Tanker Tim's Okinawa wings and let you know the results.

• Carl T,
    My mother used to fry bologna in butter in a cast iron skillet for breakfast! My wife gags when she hears me tell how good it was. It was the poor family's meat for many years. Bologna, chicken and potatoes were the mainstay, and now $8.00/lb steak isn't good enought some times. Go figure!

• Carl T,
    I have not made it myself but, I have had smoked bologna. We had a small rib joint outside town that offerd it in a slab on a bun for a lunch deal. I always thought it was ok . It can be a little strange on the digestive tract. I just couldn't think of a easier way to say that. HA Good luck

• Carl T,
    Hi Carl, There are guys on the BBQ forum, who swear by this. Shake and Stogie to name a couple.. Shake always throws big chunks like that on when he ques for snacks
    while hes Queing. He raves about it.. Stogie even has pictures on his website about it..He takes pvc pipe and takes plugs out and fills the holes with sauce and then
    ques his, its pretty cool.. If you want to go over there and ask you will get alot of info...[p]Dylan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Hey Dylan. That sounds like a great idea. What a concept...snacking while you Q.[p]Hey Carl, if you need the link to the forum that Dylan speaks of, I have included it. Lots of knowledge over there...and a few egg jokes here and there. Just ignore the jokes, and learn what you can. [p]good weekend to ya, Dylan.
    NB

[ul][li]The BBQ forum[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Q.N.E. tyme, be sure and tell him to wear body armour...or even better yet, one of those firefighting asbestos suits. Haaaa!!..Hey buddy, whats with this PVC pipe..stuff it with sausage?
    Just kidding, there are some super folks there like yourself. Just like to roll thru the mud sometimes for the fun of it.
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Please, How do you get to Stogies website?[p]Thanks,
    [p]Ray

• WillieB
    WillieB Posts: 21
    Carl T,
    We used to do the BBQ bologna when I cooked with a team in MIM contests. It's good and different. We always scored it and either poured sauce in and on it, or used a spicy rub and then put the sauce on at the end. This was all in an indirect cooker at a low temp, sauce did not burn that way. You can always smoke a while and then wrap in foil.

Have fun,[p]Ray in Lubbock, TX

• WillieB
    WillieB Posts: 21
    Carl T,
    Man, fried bologna, it has been a long time. Had that many a time for breakfast back in Alabama. It it does make for a good sandwich, with mustard, mayo, tomato and lettuce.[p]Thanks for the reminder, may have to fry some up in the next few days.[p]Ray in Lubbock, TX

• Babyray,
    Stogie was nice enough to post this on the BBQ forum so I could bring it here for you to check out...
    Here you go..[p]Dylan

[ul][li]Stogies BBQ baloney[/ul]