Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mid-Brisket Cook - Have a question

I just wrapped my prime brisket in butcher paper.  During the first part of the cook, I had fat cap down to protect the beast from the heat source below.  Once I wrap, do I do fat cap up or keep it down?

Wrapped it @ 175.  Bark not as dark as I would like but I cooked overnight very low.  Egg held 215 no problem.  Bumped it up to 275 this morning.   Although, once I wrapped and put the probe back it, the meat now reads 171.5 degrees.  Is that normal or is it because the probe my be in a different spot being I had to go through the butcher paper?
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417

I'd say that's normal on your probe. Likely from being in a slightly different position. I like to cook fat cap up. Just my opinion. No reasoning to it.

Pratt, KS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited June 2017
    I doubt cap up or down once wrapped makes any difference but I just run cap down for the duration.  Next time, if your bark is not where you want it, delay (or skip) the wrap with BP.  That process is designed to preserve the bark.
    A foil warp is designed to speed the cook and nekked is the laziest choice.
    As above with the temperature, there are lots of gradients across the protein.  BTW- the whole finish-line is based around the "probes like buttah" feel in the thick part of the flat.  Temperature is only a guide to when to start checking (and the temp is in the flat, not the point).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Thank you for the input.  I had to wrap, being I have to leave my house in 2.5 hours.  I think you are spot on.  If I had more time, I would let it ride without wrapping.  I am going to start checking tenderness at 195.  Then, let it rest 20-30, then into the cooler.  Does that sound right?

Next time, I will just cook at 275 the whole time.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    As above, you can start the check based on temp but the finish-line is "feel" independent of the temp.  Most likely in the low 200's*F.  And the cooling rack rest to stop the carry-over cook is a necessary step.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Thank you!
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg