Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan placement

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm preparing to egg for the first time. A 9lb. bone-in boston butt. To save time, I bought one of the egg set-up stones, so I won't be using fire bricks which I'm guessing sit down lower in the coals. I have a V shaped roasting rack and I prefer to use a little liquid in the drip pan to obtain max moisture. Does my drip pan need to sit on the set-up stone, under the rack to steam up good or on top of the rack with the v roaster in it. Also, does the added moisture help evan with the egg?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Dr.Seuss,
    I presume you're talking about a plate setter sitting upside down with another grid sitting on the legs. If that is the case place a drip pan under the v-rack (either on the plate setter or sit the v-rack in it) and you can forget about the water in it. It is of little consequence. Fill the EGG with charcoal up to the bottom of the fire ring. set dome temp at 250*. Put the butt in the EGG and go enjoy yourself, have a good nights sleep and pig out tomorrow. Allow about 18-20 hrs for that 9 lb beauty internal temp around 200*. Yours will be a winner!!!
    JJ

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    picnic2.jpg
    <p />Dr.Seuss,[p]Welcome to the wonderful world of Eggs, I have read your books![p]Pictured is a picnic roast (other half of a shoulder and the part next to the butt) in a V rack and on 3 firebricks. Your stone will be where I have the firebricks. I hope you got a good 3/4" stone or you may find you'll have pieces of one. Lets hope not. The water in the drip pan won't add any moisture to the food but might keep the drippings from burning. Enjoy - yell if you have more questions[p]
    Tim[p]

• Tim M
    butt1.jpg
    <p />Dr.Seuss,[p]I see JJ posted some good advice and he might be on target with the plate setter. I thought you had a pizza stone. Here is how I use my plate setter. You need a 2nd grill top (mine is an 18" webber with handles). The drip pan is in the middle.[p]Tim
  • JJ
    Tim M,
    Nice pic Tim, Shows the use of the plate setter nicely. Did you get on your hands and knees and sort the charcoal into sized piles and then neatly stack the pieces in the EGG? hehehe

• Tim M
    JJ,[p]I use a grading chart that I painted on the floor of the garage. First I pull out both cars, sweep the garage floor and then scrub it down with a mild soap. Then cautiously spread out the lump and move the large pieces to the large size area and the medium-large to the medium-large area and down through the next 15 sizes. The dust is gathered and placed into a compression device that will squeeze it into one large hunk of lump and it shall be the cornerstone around which I lay the various sizes.[p]
    Yea, sure..... I just dump in the lump like you do!![p]Good one on figuring out he was talking about a plate setter. Too bad we never had a winner to the "rename the plate setter" contest last year.[p]
    Stay warm down there - cold up here Brrrrrrr.[p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tim M, and JJ, you guys slay me!! :-)
    Good to see some sunshine after a storm...
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    Char-Woody,
    We are just injecting a little humor to some previous posts that were plagerized recipes coupled with a sick attempt to humiliate BGE forum family members. Unfortunately some of our newer participants are being sucked into this sham.

• Thanks eggsters. I started with a sirloin and some grilled veggies, then right on to the butt. The big green is something else!