Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What has two thumbs..........,

Options
just received his 14-16lb Creeskstone Farms Brisket and is going to smoke the crap out of it tomorrow night into Saturday?

THIS GUY!!!!

Now that I got that out of the way, time for some questions, being this will be my first brisket on my XL BGE. (Owned it since 2010)  I just read Aaron Franklin's book, so I am going to follow his method as closely as I can.

Brisket serving time will be around 5:00PM this Saturday, but I will be leaving my house for a party with brisky in hand at 2pm .   So, 2 scenarios:

Let's assume brisket will be 14lbs trimmed....

Franklin Exact Way 
275 degrees, water pan, (yes, I know controversial in the BGE world) wrap in butcher paper after the stall, (around 6hrs into cook, ~170 degrees) back on the egg until done (3-4 hours more, start checking tenderness at 190 degrees.  Interesting he finds most briskets done @ 203 degrees.  Fat cap down. 

Once done, into the cooler right away (Franklin does not rest out on counter, he said it goes right into his warming oven once off the pit)  Serve at 140 degrees.  According to his book, it seems his briskets are in the warming oven for almost 9 hours before serving.

1)  If I use this method, what time do you think I should get the brisket on they BGE if I am leaving my house @ 2pm?  How many hours per lb?
2)  Also, being I am just going to keep the brisket in the butcher paper, how many hours can it hold in the cooler and stay warm?  (I will wrap in towels or more butcher paper in cooler)

OR

Modified (Lower temp for sleep purposes)
I was thinking of cooking the brisket at 225-250 overnight, then bump up the temp in the morning if needed..  This way, I can sleep a little more.  

1)  With this method, what time would you put this on the egg?  Again, leaving my house @ 2pm.

Thank your for your help in advance.
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    If you insist on going into the cooler directly, I'd pull between 190 and 195 depending on feel, because you will get carry over cooking.  Higher quality briskets are usually done at lower temps anyway.

I would say you could go 6 hours or more in the cooler if you want, but 3-4 is optimal.

Not sure about timing, but it's going to cook more quickly than you think.

Oh, and ditch the water pan.  It's going to cause temp control issues.
    NOLA
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    If I do not put it in cooler right away, how long should I wait to put it in the cooler to prevent carryover cooking?

Thank you for your advice.  
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    If I do not put it in cooler right away, how long should I wait to put it in the cooler to prevent carryover cooking?

Thank you for your advice.  
    Wait until the temp stops climbing but before it gets into the danger zone of 140. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker