Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This has never happened before

so did pizza last week and the dome shifted butclosed

fast forward to tonight and a quick burger and baked taters, lid shifted and won't close it seems off kilter 
HFX NS

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Do you have a screwdriver jammed in the back of the lid?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Bhinky
    Bhinky Posts: 8
    I would let it cool and re-seat the dome and bands.

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    thetrim said:
    Do you have a screwdriver jammed in the back of the lid?
    Nope and the bands all seem parallel to the edge too. 
    HFX NS
  • Nsdexter
    Bhinky said:

Won't close so won't cool down. I gave it zip tied to the table right no w and even that's keeping it at 310
    HFX NS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Something is wonky with the hinge. If you can get some pics of the back hinge assembly that might help. My guess is some bolts may have loosed up and the spring may be wedged in between the hinges. 

How old is your egg? If less than 5 years and it is out of wack you may be able to get a new hinge redesigned assembly under warranty. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bhinky
    Bhinky Posts: 8
    Nsdexter said:
    Bhinky said:

Won't close so won't cool down. I gave it zip tied to the table right no w and even that's keeping it at 310
    That is quite the pickle! I would put zip ties on the hinge, pull the dome and band off, and sit the dome on the base to snuff it.
  • Nsdexter
    Something is wonky with the hinge. If you can get some pics of the back hinge assembly that might help. My guess is some bolts may have loosed up and the spring may be wedged in between the hinges. 

How old is your egg? If less than 5 years and it is out of wack you may be able to get a new hinge redesigned assembly under warranty. 
    Yeah that was my guess but probably tightened not loosened. It's f they were loose I'd assume it would close not open. 
    HFX NS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    As above, gotta be something with the bands after the heat caused them to expand and loosen.  The ceramics can't move that much so focus on the bands/hinge.  
    If you have some great fire-retardant gloves, open it up and pull the lump and toss into a metal bucket of water, otherwise toss something on to take advantage of the slow burn til  the lump runs out.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    It's likely the hinge nut where the springs are attached. Can fix with a couple wrenches. Tighten the outside but and bolt and leave the inside one adjacent to the springs alone. Not too tight however. 
  • You can slowly pour water (or quickly if you like a show) over the lump to put out the fire quickly. You are not going to hurt anything. You would be surprised how fast a half cup of water brings the temps down.   
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    You can slowly pour water (or quickly if you like a show) over the lump to put out the fire quickly. You are not going to hurt anything. You would be surprised how fast a half cup of water brings the temps down.   
    Hey, that's my secret Eggfest trick! Lol!
  • Nsdexter
    I loosened the dome band and it settled down onto the base. Will have to adjust the hinge unfortunately because I have a feeling that is trickier than a regular adjustment
    HFX NS
  • pgprescott
    Nsdexter said:
    I loosened the dome band and it settled down onto the base. Will have to adjust the hinge unfortunately because I have a feeling that is trickier than a regular adjustment
    If it is the hinge bolt or bolts it is far easier than you might expect. If it is a little loose it really jacks the lid up. A couple turns and it will sit right down like it was before. If not the hinge bolt don't know. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    If I let mine go nuclear it does that. Loosen everything up once cooled and can get it useable again. Will get the new band assembly eventually. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029

This has never happened before:  This is what all men say from time to time.  =)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Agree with the hing bolts.  Recently my lid was high on the right side ( standing in front of the egg), but fine on the left side.  I carefully loosened and tightened the hinge bolts till I got it sitting flat all the way around.  At one point I tightened the hinge screws to much and my egg wouldn't open!  That was nerve racking.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot