Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie here with a LBGE

Thank you for this forum and for all the great posts.  After years of wanting one, I finally purchased a LBGE on Friday.  Since I have already used it twice and had a couple of questions.  First is how can i get it to cook more evenly?  After I light it and then get the temp to where I want it, I notice that parts of the grate seem to cook the meat faster then the other side, usually its the left side that seems hotter than the right.  Also I purchased the Grate Stacker from Smokeware.  Would this be okay to use when cooking Chicken and Beef together, I usually don't like to cook them both together but was curious about how the Egg would do.  Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.  Greatly appreciated.

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Welcome aboard my new friend! Congrats on your new LBGE.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    The best I can do for quick even heat is to light a chimney starter full of coals and dump them evenly across the top. 

Otherwise, I light in three places and give it time for the fire to spread and even out. 

Even still there will be hotter and cooler areas. If I'm grilling I just work with it and move and flip as needed. 

Another option is to go raised direct like for a spatchcock chicken.  Up in the dome, with the convection and the reflect heat, things cook pretty evenly. 

Keep at it- the egg is not perfect but it's super versatile and a lot of fun once you learn it's quirks. 

Welcome!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    welcome.  Post plenty of pics
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • mchestnut
    mchestnut Posts: 9
    blind99 said:
    The best I can do for quick even heat is to light a chimney starter full of coals and dump them evenly across the top. 

Otherwise, I light in three places and give it time for the fire to spread and even out. 

Even still there will be hotter and cooler areas. If I'm grilling I just work with it and move and flip as needed. 

Another option is to go raised direct like for a spatchcock chicken.  Up in the dome, with the convection and the reflect heat, things cook pretty evenly. 

Keep at it- the egg is not perfect but it's super versatile and a lot of fun once you learn it's quirks. 

Welcome!
    Great Feedback...Thank you
  • mchestnut

johnnyp said:
    welcome.  Post plenty of pics
    Will do :)
  • mchestnut
    Pictures of my first two cookouts with my LBGE.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Very nice cook and welcome to the group. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Welcome to the group.

+1 on the "start fire in more spots" and the "raised direct" comments above.  However, my best advice is to get a Thermapen instant read thermometer.  That will help you more accurately judge doneness, which will be even more important as you go to more temp sensitive meats (steaks, chicken breasts, etc.).
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great start right there.  The challenge with hot& fast cooks is as noted above-unless all the lump is burning you will get thermal differences and even then the air-flow will impact the fire.
    At the risk of post over-load, below is a collection of info, some of which may be of value:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

More than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.