Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Wagon/Cart

I'll start with a little back story first, i'm a former XL BGE owner but we sold it due to the hastle of rolling it on and off our apartment porch and into the grass. Recently we decided enough is enough and we can't continue to go without a BGE in our life.

So i'm buying myself a Large egg for my birthday this month. Now i'm using the next few weeks to build/design a portable wagon/cart. I want it to have pneumatic tires that will roll across soft grass with ease. 

Here's what I have so far (I bought a used nest on craigslist for parts) i'm in the process of welding all the joints together on the nest and the cutting the legs off (see picture) to make basically a table nest with extended arms to keep the egg from bouncing in transport.

For the transport vehicle, i think i've narrowed it down to the garden wagon pictured below from tractor supply co. 

So now I come here looking for help on ideas and pointers from the experienced eggheads on here. Looking for any pointers/ideas from past experience anyone might have had in a similar situation. i plan on eventually adding a rack to hold an RTIC cooler on the back and a charcoal/tool storage rack on the from half of the wagon (the overall length of the wagon is 52", so I think i'll have the room for everything i've got planned).

Thanks in advance for the input and help!!!!

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Welcome to the forum.  I'm a fan of projects like this, and I admire your determination to make an egg fit your circumstance.

I have a cart very similar to the one pictured.  Could you tie a support to each arm of the nest from each corner?  That may increase stability.

Hope you're able to post progress. 
    Phoenix 
  • Cdm624
    Cdm624 Posts: 52
    thanks for the feedback blasting!

i've contemplated taking the metal i have from the remainder of the nest i plan on cutting off and extending each of the 4 arms up to give even more support but i'm not sure if that would accomplish anything. i definitely don't want my egg toppling over in transit.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have seen these at a few Eggfests. They are very nice and move easy.
    https://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_2893516.html
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cdm624
    Photo Egg said:
    I have seen these at a few Eggfests. They are very nice and move easy.
    https://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_2893516.html
    Those looks cool but I'd have a hard time spending more on a table than I do on the egg itself. Plus I'm a fabricator at heart, even if my ability hasn't caught up with my imagination just yet.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but at 219lbs for the XL, you are at the max of 225lbs from the model I looked at online from TSC.  That is without the loaded rtic and charcoal and etc.

These things are made to cart a few bags of mulch or potting soil around, not house a heavy ceramic grill and accessories 24/7.

I had tires like those on my old table, like a bike, they need attention.  When looking at a Peoria Custom Cooker by the dentist, he uses pneumatic tires for his backyard model.  

You may want to access the draft door for ash removal, depending on location, the side bars could get in the way.

Best of luck, don't do the Humpty Hump.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    I agree with ^^^^Debbie^^^^
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I tow my cart around with a solid 250lbs in it.  I agree about those usless inflatable tires needing attention.   I replaced them with solid tires.

Btw, the @cdm624 is getting a large, not an extra large.

Phoenix 
  • Cdm624
    The wagon I'm looking at using has a 1400 lb capacity and I'm going with a large egg (sold my xl a few years ago due to weight and difficulty of moving around living in an apartment).

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-heavy-duty-steel-barn-wagon-1-400-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Also the side panels are 100% removable and slide right off with ease. 

I don't forsee weight being an issue, I stood on the demo model of the wagon in store and it was very stable (I weight much more than a L egg does). Also when I do add the cooler down the road I'm more thank likey going for a 45 or 65 qt model nothing too huge.
  • Cdm624
    I've also thought about swapping out the pneumatic tires for some flat free ones if airing them up becomes an issue ( I've got a portable compressor that I use in our cars).

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200660487_200660487?hotline=false

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    There are simpler ways to do this.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148864/small-nest-big-wheels-all-terrain-mod/p1

Thats a large egg in the EggCrate.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    caliking said:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148864/small-nest-big-wheels-all-terrain-mod/p1

Getting to the lowest possible center gravity...would increase stability, I would think. Probably even better with inflatable tires.  Still, you never know where the ceramic may have a stress fracture hiding, so moving it around in contraptions like that carries inherent risks.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    My bad OP, others in the discussion, was thinking XL.

The Large's longer legs and tapered bottom may be an issue as well.  

Cali's crate is nice, keeps it housed.  I did this with my small transporter, snug, zero shifting.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    News2u said:
    caliking said:

Getting to the lowest possible center gravity...would increase stability, I would think. Probably even better with inflatable tires.  Still, you never know where the ceramic may have a stress fracture hiding, so moving it around in contraptions like that carries inherent risks.

There is minimal risk of tipping one of my contraptions over. The bases are wide and heavy, and they won't tip over when pushing or pulling. You would have to squat, grab a bottom cross brace , and heave to flip either one.

And be REALLY drunk :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    I really didn't pay attention to the details, just wanted to call Focker  Debbie . =) 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Those wagons are pretty strong. I have one that is about 20 years old now and it was rated for 1000 pounds. Most I ever had in it was about 800. Even with those nice big tires it was a bit of a PITA to pull thru my soft yard loaded that heavily. The load you will be putting on it will be less than half that so it should pull much more easily.

I would probably line the bottom of the wagon with those 2"thick concrete landscaping squares to lower the CG a bit. I'd also probably thru bolt your stand to the wagon.

The wagon I have has steerable front wheels and is a bit more stable than the type that just has the whole front axle pivot like on a kids wagon - can't tell from your pic if yours "steers" or "pivots".

If tipping is a concern just have someone walk alongside while rolling it to its destinations.

I've seen someone do the same thing with one of those wagons a couple years ago but I don't recall if it was on this forum or elsewhere. They seemed happy with the end result.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Focker said:what is that around your handle on Egg?

My bad OP, others in the discussion, was thinking XL.

The Large's longer legs and tapered bottom may be an issue as well.  

Cali's crate is nice, keeps it housed.  I did this with my small transporter, snug, zero shifting.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2017
    I seem to remember Big Green Dave having a very utilitarian solution to this but that was a long time ago. I believe bicycle handlebars were involved. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX