Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Henry lump?

Legume
Legume Posts: 14,602
Has anyone tried this?  I just picked up a couple of 20# bags to try but probably won't get into it unti the weekend.  Guy at the store said it had a stronger smoke profile than BGE lump which he considered to be on the neutral side.  I'm hoping what he means by smoke profile leans toward good smoke profile, not dirty.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Shoot Tom an Email at CGS. I know he has used it.
    Have not used it myself. Hope it's good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Not sure on the lump, but he sure makes some good rubs and sauces!  I met him down at HBP Expo......super nice guy.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I've used it.  It's fine. I buy it when the price is right.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    We cooked with it at The Texas Eggfest a month ago. Cooked great and burns clean. I really liked it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    It's all I use. Burns clean. You'll like it.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Legume
    Ok, excellent, thanks for all of the replies.  I'm about out of magic Russian center cut and happened to see this one at local egg dealer and thought it would be worth a 'speriment.  I know it's stupid, but I just can't get my head around having just a few bags of lump shipped 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Legume said:
    Ok, excellent, thanks for all of the replies.  I'm about out of magic Russian center cut and happened to see this one at local egg dealer and thought it would be worth a 'speriment.  I know it's stupid, but I just can't get my head around having just a few bags of lump shipped 
    What is the 20# bag priced at?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    I think it was 22.  There was some Texas ultra premium lump next to it - can't remember the name and I should've taken a pic.  It was maybe 23 or so for what looked like a 10 lb bag.  I should've taken a pic.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker this was at outfitters on Saturday, know what that lump is?  Black print on brown paper bag.
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    @Legume Is your dealer BBQ Outfitters perhaps? That's where I go and what you are describing sounds very similar. I think I've used that Texas Ultra Premium you speak of. If it's the same, it's the best I've used but I don't like the price.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Legume
    @Legume Is your dealer BBQ Outfitters perhaps? That's where I go and what you are describing sounds very similar. I think I've used that Texas Ultra Premium you speak of. If it's the same, it's the best I've used but I don't like the price.
    Yep, that's them.  I don't get out there often.  
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Call the number on the label if you have any questions about their product. I called with a question about the pecan smoked rub and the owner answered the phone. The rub is great, though it has a lot of sugar in it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.