Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EW Brisket Question

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, it has been well over a year since Elder Ward posted his World Class Brisket Recipe and I am finally going to give it a try.[p]Here is the question, at 275 am I cooking with direct heat or am I adding firebricks to make it indirect?[p]I am heading down to the market to get a nice brisket now.[p]Happy Smoking,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I always cook briskets indirect at about 200-225. No reason for that low, just how I learned to cook them and I feel comfortable with it. I think NB and others cook them at about 250 or so indirect also. Never tried a brisket direct, too worried about drying things out for that length of time over the fire. At 200-225 indirect I go about 2 1/2 to 3 hours a pound. Good luck with the brisket, sure makes some good eats.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    When I did his recipe, I compromised because I was askeered to try direct. I cooked mine elevated over a naked pizza stone. A 7 pounder took 10 hours. Slightly different texture than the low/slo version, but suprisingly tender and tasty. I brought it to a party wrapped in foil/cooler, and served about 3 hours after I pulled it off. Was gone within 20 minutes of unwrapping![p]Have fun! where is our pal Elder anywho?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I just returned from the Market with a 3.75 lb. Choice Flat. It has a nice fat cap but is otherwise very lean. I just drapes over my hands when I hold it. I just made the rub and guess that I will try it direct exactly like EW suggests. I need to send Elder Ward an email and see where he has been.[p]I will let everyone know how it turns out.
    RhumAndJerk

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, I am with you on the indirect! [p]Temperature is choice up to 275F. With a ceramic mass you might be able to go even higher for a heavier crust exterior. Never pushed it there yet myself.
    I used to think chicken was best at 350 in my early cooks, but then I pushed the limits to see what the 400 to 500 range would do, and I was surprised with the results.
    Cheers..
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey seedub,
    Have you noticed the totally unique smell that comes from the egg at stabilized temps over 400?? Like the smell you get when cooking pizza. A nice clean burn, and good even heat applied to your subject. I love cooking chicken pieces at 450 over a drip pan of water.
    Life is most shweeeet. Heeeeee!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, in that range with peanut oil coating, its not baked anymore, its broiled chicken..much like KC Fried, but better. Much faster and crisper. Only over a ceramic mass/drip pan tho. Otherwise...heeeeyaaaaaa. call the fire department.