Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greetings from Kentucky and dining out

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A last minute, "you'd better be there", business trip to Cincinnati has now placed me in the comfort and convenience of my hotel room in pfabulous pFort Mitchell KY hehehe. Upon checkin, I asked for a restaurant suggestion and another guest who happened to overhear the question told me that I was in luck. He said "one of the best steak houses in the country is just a few minutes drive from here". He told me that I just had to try it and that I will never have a steak as good as they serve - GO for the ribeye.[p]The verdict: a decent piece of meat and boooooooorrrring. Since I have to return here next week, I'll bring my small Egg with me in order to dine properly. [p]K~G

Comments

• KennyG,
    It's too bad you didn't have it wid you, so you could show the other "guest" what a "Real" steak was like! :-)))[p]Dr. Chicken

• KennyG,[p]Kenny G, you are awesome, man. [p]
    char buddy.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    KennyG, I know the feeling. Earlier this month we spent a week in Maui and attended a Luau where they featured kahlua pig. (pig cooked in sand, covered with banana leaves). The shredded pork was very good and all the rest of
    the food was very tasty, and I would recommend the event to everyone, however, if you expect the kind of PP you can make on the egg, you will be disappointed.;)
    It was good, but not up to my new standards! (BGE :))
    Later,
    ChefRD

• KennyG,
    WHen I came on this forum just before I bought the egg,people told me watch out eating out won't be fun anymore. KennyG is right. As I also found out steak houses are now just a joke. Long live the BGE Uncle Dave[p]P.S. Get home safe

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    KennyG, some guys have all the luck..Heeeeyaaa!! Somebody should invent one of those scratch things with the real deal imbedded in em..BGE smells..!!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr. Chicken, what, and ruin the poor guys life forever? . KennyG is too kindhearted..I think. Maybe not! :-)
    C~W

• KennyG,
    WHen I came on this forum just before I bought the egg,people told me watch out eating out won't be fun anymore. KennyG is right. As I also found out steak houses are now just a joke. Long live the BGE Uncle Dave[p]P.S. Get home safe

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    KennyG,
    I just had the very same experience in Baton Rouge. The hotel was next to a Ruth's Chris Steak House and everyone told us the very same thing about their steaks. I had the same emotions. The meat was of good quality, about the same as Costco's choice cut ribeye but the preparations was nothing to write home about, I kick their butt's every single time! I had the $65 porterhouse they serve (on the company dontcha know) I'd MUCH rather be able to take that $65 and go to the butcher shop! Heck even my Cadillac Margaritas are better than theirs!

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    KennyG,[p] Does your company ever send you across the border into Canada? Toronto area, to narrow it down some. If so, give us a shout, we'll cook you up a great steak anytime.I have two Eggs on standby. [p]Earl
  • KennyG
    Earl,[p]I was scheduled to do a class at our Toronto office last summer. Got yanked for another assignment. You and Barb would have been the first folks I would have looked up.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Huck,[p]The same can be said for Shula's, Mortens of Chicago, Del Friscos and Mannys. Decent meat and high prices, sure was glad the company picked up the tab.[p]On one occasion, I was staying at a Residence Inn by Marriott. They are more of an apartment than a hotel room and with a full kitchen. I noticed a Weber charcoal kettle out by the pool and I got the go ahead to use it when I inquired. Come expense report time, the usual $50+ tab for a big dinner and a couple of pops would have been perfectly acceptable. Instead, I turned in a supermarket cash register receipt for the fixins of a great steak dinner that I prepared myself. Even included a bottle of fine cork-free white zin hehehe and all for just over $20. I got called in on the carpet for this - go figure.[p]K~G[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    KennyG,
    at least my company provides us with a food guideline and as long as we're under that we don't have to submit receipts. I cook out a lot with friends when I travel.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    KennyG,
    Yep. Them two are tough to match in the "gracious host" department. Awful lot of fun to be around too!
    PBRs to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ