Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's been a while.... wish me luck

Options
Well after finally being pretty much recovered from back surgery it's time to get back on the horse. Having some friends and family over tomorrow for a swim and some food. Might be a few adult beverages thrown around. Decided to jump into the deep end and do a brisket.  Just put this 14lb. Beast on hoping the powers that be make this successful.  Cooking is at 250 and am finally getting to use my xmas gift.  Been dying to try this digi Q.  Let's hope this works.  Looking at the pics before I post this and I realized I forgot the food probe.  Sheesh not a good start.
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    You got got this hook. I usualy dont add the food probe until morning. No worries. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Get some!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Well it's at 185°. I'm sure it's going to sit there for a while. Should I foil it now or let it ride. I haven't done a brisket in a long time. People aren't coming over until 4. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Your call.  The wrap process is done to achieve an end product-butcher paper if the bark is set to your liking; foil if you need to power the a stall or nekked if all is well and you are lazy (like me).  Below is a link to  comparisons regarding wrapping.  You've got this.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Is it heard of a 14 lb packer be finished in 12 hours and can I FTC until like 5ish?
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Or should I FTC it then warm it in the oven. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Another dumb question. Has anyone seen a brisket get to like 195 then drop down?  Another stall?
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I'm not nervous or anything can you tell. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ha ha. You will be fine.

They can stall out again at higher temps. You can lower the temp to 200 and let it creep up if its not tender yet. 

If it's ready, you can FTC for 6-8 hours easy. Some of my best have been rested all day like that and were still too hot to handle when they came out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2017
    Options
    All of the above...now for some thoughts.  Depending on your cook temp 14 lbs in 12 hours is not unusual.  I have had many average out of late at 0.75-0.8 hrs/lb.  Don't know how much time you are planning to FTC with the 5 PM dead-line but I have gone 7 hours in an elcheapo Igloo cooler before (pre-warmed with hot water then FTC)  The food safety key is less than 4 hours in the 40-140*F window.
    Regarding the stall-always remember the cow drives the cook and while I have not seen a drop in the mid-190's I haven't looked for it either.   As long as you wait for the feel you will get to the finish-line.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Man. This is nerve racking.   Pork Butts are so much easier. lol
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74 -  that's what makes the brisket cook so much fun.  There are so many factors that can impact the process and you just deal with 'em and on to the next one.  Not to mention the biggest variable of them all, the cow.  
    BTW- Glad that you are recovered and back in the saddle.  Above all, have fun.
    Happy Brisket Day.  
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap for all the support. Yeah it's been a long winter and spring. Feel like I forgot how to cook. I think it's about done. I also assume it's going to continue to cook for a bit. Going to pull the trigger and let it rest and then FTC it.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you have achieved the feel in a great majority of the flat (usually there is a small part that won't get with the program) then declare victory and pull.  Give it a good 15-20 minute rest on a cooling rack to stop the carry-over cooking you mentioned.  Then time for the wrap and pack (aka FTC) til ready to slice on demand and enjoy.