Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood vs. wicked good

Options
I can order wicked good through my local Ace Hardware  for a few dollars more per bag than Rockwood. I'm down to my last two bags of Rockwood and have had no bad experiences with it , just toying with the idea of trying something different for reasons of comparison. Any opinions ?
Grand Rapids , Mi
LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think the only difference between the two is that WG has a light sweet smoke flavor to it. Rockwood is more neutral when it comes to smoke flavor. Grab a bag of WG and see if you like it. It's quality lump but not sure if it's worth a few dollars more a bag than Rockwood 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    In total agreement withe @WeberWho!  My experience was that WG seemed to not have the consistency of size that I get with Rockwood and for my money I wouldn't pay a premium for WG.

Grab a bag and try it!  your experience will tell you which way to go.

Best of luck!!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

+1 on @weberwho advice.  Grab a bag and try it out.  Worst case scenario is that you don't dig it and it only cost you a couple extra bucks.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I could not discern any difference in the smoke profile.  The WG had consistently larger pieces of lump in the bags I got.  I have been a Rockwood/firecraft customer for several years now.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Last time I used WG, it had a long burn time and was very neutral. Good sized pieces, best I've used. Just bought 10 bags (group buy from the WG warehouse). As soon as I finish off the old stuff that's in my egg now, I'll be using WG again. Just opened a bag and this is what I saw... GOOD STUFF!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Been using WG for years! I even have a stash of WG Competition Blend! maybe 25 bags more or less. I use it for l-o-n-g cooks only. If you've used the WGCB then you'll know what I'm talking about.
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sundown said:
    Been using WG for years! I even have a stash of WG Competition Blend! maybe 25 bags more or less. I use it for l-o-n-g cooks only. If you've used the WGCB then you'll know what I'm talking about.

@Mickey, see? I TOLD you someone was hoarding Comp Blend! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    My local ACE Hardware used to carry Wicked before they switched to Rockwood. I will use either before I use ACE's alternate lump Cowboy.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks like I have to give it a try.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I continue to use Rockwood the majority of the time, but I still take most opportunities to try a new lump if I stumble across it (unless the reviews really terrible). Wicked Good seems to be universally praised around here so I would definitely try it if I could find it.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I used the last crumbs of my stashed bag of Wicked Good a month ago. There wasn't quite enough so I had to bulk it up with Rockwood.  
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I used the last crumbs of my stashed bag of Wicked Good a month ago. There wasn't quite enough so I had to bulk it up with Rockwood.  
    Which do you prefer? Assuming you have used them both separately.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Homebrewguy
    Homebrewguy Posts: 158
    Options
    I've used both. I have to say that I probably like Rockwood a bit better. Wicked Good had a smoked flavor to it, though less smokey than Royal Oak/BGE brand.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Picked up some Wicked Good last month while in Asheville. Haven't used it in a long time. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Which do you prefer? Assuming you have used them both separately.
    I really don't have a preference but then I don't do low and slow smokes?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Rockwood is Missouri grown hardwood and WG is South American. Enough said. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Rockwood is Missouri grown hardwood and WG is South American. Enough said. 
    Racist much.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    How much is a bag or RW compared to WG? Just wondering because I have never used either. 
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    Wicked Good is $25 at ace hardware . Rockwood is about $21 thru firecraft , free shipping if you spend $100  ( both are 20# bags)
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill