Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA- Sunday May 28, 2017 National Brisket Day-PSA

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,162
edited May 2017 in EggHead Forum
Thought I would toss out an alertment so that everyone has time to thaw, or buy the required brisket for that soon-to-be sure-fire National Holiday or give the cow a few practice runs.  Above all, have fun.  Always remember-the friggin cow drives the cook. Here's to finding the proverbial "feels like buttah" outcome.  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Thanks for the heads up brother brisket master!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I sense the SECOND annual Memorial Day brisket cook is coming!

@SRFShane, you ready to sponsor us?  Last year i removed myself from the drawing because the idea/concept originated with me and i thought it would look a little iffy to the other participants had i  won the prime competition packer brisket.   Sooooo, this year if srf is donating a whole packer to a randomly selected participant, let us know, and THIS year i will be making a brisky (i need to do it BEFORE memorial day weekend by a couple of days so if this disqualifies me from the drawing, i accept that but would still post my results and process anyway) 

Egg On brothers amd sisters!
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2017
    @westernbbq - @SRFShane has moved on.  @SRFANNELLA  has taken his role.  She has been with SRF for a good while and introduced herself here a few months ago.  I believe she is active on other Q forums as well.  Hopefully she will respond here.
    BTW-since you got this rolling last year there is no disqualification with  your timing in my book.  
    Edit: here's the thread from last year's celebration (SRFShane's offer is on page one):

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    just alerted the family- love the idea of a reason to "Need" to cook a brisket.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • We host a party every Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, was planning to cook two briskets already, I may need to expand that Total
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Thanks @lousubcap!    I will participate and commitments i made to mdw keep me from making a brisky sat sun or monday, sooooo, i am doing one the week before, maybe two, and ill post picts amd process.   And @xfire_ATX, we always NEED to make brisket!  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Brisket Day. That is like Bourbon Day. They should be held on every day that end with the letter "Y".
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Just got a prime from Costco.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Well, I guess I'm going to be a day early. We're holding our annual Memorial Day weekend party on Saturday and there's a SRF brisket in the freezer that wants to get out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    @DMW- you should rescue it from the freezer right now.  Great eats await.  
  • DMW
    lousubcap said:
    @DMW- you should rescue it from the freezer right now.  Great eats await.  
    Final menu planning will occur tomorrow when we have the final count. Freezer diving will be done by end of day tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Bump for planning purposes in case you've gotta start the thaw process.  Gonna be a great day.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Just looked in the freezer this morning and I have a 10lb and 13lb HEB Prime Ones in there.  I'll go with the 13er and will thaw Tuesday afternoon and fire it up late Sat night.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    I have 5 in the freezer, 14# is the smallest prime I have. Our son's graduation is coming up, reckon I need to put a couple out to thaw.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    Dang, Ron, you have a big freezer!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2017
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim
     I have three. One deep freezer, and two freezers in the fridges.
    BGE is not your wallet's friend, ever.
    Bought the second fridge because the first one was too small, and we redid the kitchen. Bought the deep freeze because the two fridge freezers became too small.
    Thinking on buying another, larger deep freezer, because, well, you know......
    The least expensive aspect of BGE ownership is the initial purchase of the BGE.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Thanks @lousubcap!    I will participate and commitments i made to mdw keep me from making a brisky sat sun or monday, sooooo, i am doing one the week before, maybe two, and ill post picts amd process.   And @xfire_ATX, we always NEED to make brisket!  
    Sadly this weekends travel soccer was washed out and now scheduled for this weekend which unless we get eliminated early then I won't be making a brisket on Sunday.  Perhaps I will go with Friday
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lousubcap
    Sunday, Friday, Monday-just adjust the "need" to fit the window of opportunity.  Good luck on the pitch.
  • DMW
    YukonRon said:
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim
    Bought the second fridge because the first one was too small, and we redid the kitchen. Bought the deep freeze because the two fridge freezers became too small.
    I have four freezers. Two deep freezers and two fridge freezers. I don't have a problem, neither do you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• thetrim
    I need to retire.   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    DMW said:
    YukonRon said:
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim
    I have four freezers. Two deep freezers and two fridge freezers. I don't have a problem, neither do you.
    @DMW
    I keep telling myself that, but friends and family, whisper discretely when I enter the room, point at me, then leave before I can engage them with BGE speak. Am I paranoid?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    B
      U
        M
           P
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Mines in the fridge ready to go. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    It's going to be national SV brisket reheat day for me. I've got too much in the freezer to cook another one. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited May 2017
    I started early,  SRF Brisket is on now. Went on at 11:50 for tonight. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • thetrim
    I have a 13.9lb defrosting in the fridge!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon said:
    DMW said:
    YukonRon said:
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim
    @DMW
    I keep telling myself that, but friends and family, whisper discretely when I enter the room, point at me, then leave before I can engage them with BGE speak. Am I paranoid?
    Nope, you are normal. I feel so inadequate with my 3 refrigerator freezers. 
    Although one of them has 16 pints of Bourbon Slushes in it waiting for guests on Sunday. 
     I used the Yukon Ron recipe that you posted. Thanks!
  • lousubcap
    @SandyHookEgger - hopefully you have a few guests coming around on Sunday to help with 16 pints of slushes otherwise you may not have total recall of the day  ;)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Monday is gonna be rough @SandyHookEgger
  • thetrim
    I have two refrigerator freezers and a next door neighbor with a deep freezer that I can borrow some space in.  I total forgot about the brisket I had in there that we'll be cooking on Sunday.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95