Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Pork Butt on a MM...advice needed.

Ok, going to cook a 9.5lb pork butt on the MM this weekend. I have cooked this several times on my large, but never on the MM. Any advice on doing long cooks on a MM? I have a Kick Ash basket in the MM and I am assuming I would fill the MM FULL of lump. 

Thanks

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,183
    edited May 2017
    At 9.5lbs, you will likely need to reload. Do so once you have foiled the butt, such that you can continue to cook uninterrupted without letting the butt get kissed by the acrid white smoke. 

You will find that you will have a hell of a time keeping a butt that big in the shadow of the platesetter. You can either put foil under the exposed pieces of butt or simply babysit it like crazy. Just watch for burning. 

Your dome thermo will likely stick into the butt itself for a cook that big. Keep in mind that you will have no sense of your dome temps during the cook. While you can rig a shallower thermometer with a wine cork, it will likely be futile with a hunk of meat that big. 

I often do big cooks on my MM with great success. This is what 9.5 lbs of meat on the MM looks like. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205473/9-5-pound-brisket-just-put-onto-the-mini-max#latest

Big meat in small spaces is where it's at. 

Have fun. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    The only time I tried that, I overloaded the firebox and really crushed the lump down. Zero airflow. Unattended cook as I had to work. Tossed the butt and wound up turboing some replacements. 
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    At 9.5lbs, you will likely need to reload. Do so once you have foiled the butt, such that you can continue to cook uninterrupted without letting the butt get kissed by the acrid white smoke. 

You will find that you will have a hell of a time keeping a butt that big in the shadow of the platesetter. You can either put foil under the exposed pieces of butt or simply babysit it like crazy. Just watch for burning. 

Your dome thermo will likely stick into the butt itself for a cook that big. Keep in mind that you will have no sense of your dome temps during the cook. While you can rig a shallower thermometer with a wine cork, it will likely be futile with a hunk of meat that big. 

I often do big cooks on my MM with great success. This is what 9.5 lbs of meat on the MM looks like. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205473/9-5-pound-brisket-just-put-onto-the-mini-max#latest

Have fun. 
    Hummm never thought of having to reload mid cook. Good call to do it at the same time as foiling. Typically how long would a full load of lump last in the MM at 230ish? 

• SBGonzo said:

Have fun. 
    Hummm never thought of having to reload mid cook. Good call to do it at the same time as foiling. Typically how long would a full load of lump last in the MM at 230ish? 

I've had a full load last 12 hrs easy at those temps. With a butt that size, consider it very likely that you will have to reload.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

^That's great advice
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SBGonzo
    Well the Butt went on at 6:30am....cooking away. It ended up being 9.89lbs....a huge price of meet of the MM. The dome thermo did not fit, its out, but have my remote thermo in..no worries. Had to put 2 small pieces of foil around the edges. 

My plan is to let it go all day, but I need it to be done around 7:30ish. Would cranking the temps or foiling be advised mid/near the end of the cook? Right now the egg is around the 230 degree range. Probably will have to reload charcoal at some point as suggested. Any tips in doing this, as it would be my first time adding more charcoal mid cook? 

• ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    That is a tight fit, I've never had to add charcoal so I'm anxious to see suggestions as to how it's done.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • SBGonzo
    Yeah it was a tight fit for sure....after 3hrs internal temp is 118, BGE temp is 239. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Looks good. Standing by for the progress report.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    I have done pork butts of that size on my MM before, and in all likelihood you will run out of lump.  When you do, realize that the pork will have taken on all of the smoke it is going to.  So you can foil it and stick it in the oven to finish it, even at a higher temp if you want to finish more quickly.

If you foil it there is not much point in sticking it back on the Egg.  At least not one that I've ever been convinced of.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SBGonzo
    I have done pork butts of that size on my MM before, and in all likelihood you will run out of lump.  When you do, realize that the pork will have taken on all of the smoke it is going to.  So you can foil it and stick it in the oven to finish it, even at a higher temp if you want to finish more quickly.

If you foil it there is not much point in sticking it back on the Egg.  At least not one that I've ever been convinced of.
    Yeah....no oven option, at the campsite. I guess I will foil really tight and add more lump at some point. When adding lump, should I wait for the white smoke to die down before putting the butt back on, or just throw it back on immediately wrapped in foil? 

4hrs in sitting at 140 internal temp. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    SBGonzo said:

Yeah....no oven option, at the campsite. I guess I will foil really tight and add more lump at some point. When adding lump, should I wait for the white smoke to die down before putting the butt back on, or just throw it back on immediately wrapped in foil? 

4hrs in sitting at 140 internal temp. 
    Good question.  My advice would be to wait for the bad smoke to clear.  You'll lose a little temp/momentum on the cook, but nothing of real concern.

It would probably be OK to put it right back on again, but there's a chance some of that bad smoke will get through even the foil and impact the flavor.  I'd hate to steer you wrong.  
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That's awesome!  Look forward to the cook results.
    I have been debating buying a MM to travel with and do this exact cook, but didn't know if I'd be able to fit a large rough piece in there.

Looking forward to the finish pics and results!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SBGonzo
    Well this is new for me...left the Pork cooking away....244 degrees at 155 internal temp. Took the kids white water rafting...got back to the campsite 4 hrs later and the meat temp was 149, Egg temp 189. Reloaded lump....wrapped meat in foil....still cooking now. Going turbo now...humm 
  • JohnInCarolina
    It'll be great, no worries!
  • SBGonzo
    Finished at 205, pulled off and wrapped in towel/cooler....for 30 min. Served up....zero left overs, fed about 12 people and a few kids! Not the prettiest butt....it was falling apart...bone came out clean! The sugar in the rub got a little brown on top. Very moist when I shredded it. Happy day on the river, happy day at the campsite!

+ one for the MM! 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Bravo! Very well done!!!!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Looks good to me, glad that it turned out so well.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Well then, you brought the egg camping and succeeded!  Nice.  Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like the MM takes a little more attention than a Large does.   Noted.
    LBGE/Maryland