Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overdone, Underdone, or a Fluke? Brisket

Options
GoooDawgs
GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
I've made the switch back to the Costco prime after enjoying the Gold Grade SRF (sad times, but thankful the Primes are priced well!)

I cooked one yesterday that would not seem to "give up."  It was tough to probe even in the high 190s, and not very pliable.  I let it keep riding and finally around 203 the probe went it better so I declared victory, let it rest on the counter for 30 minutes, then FTC for 2 hours.

Taste was great, however the flat slices would pass the pull test but not the bend test!  I couldn't get it to drape over my finger, it pretty much laid horizontal.  But when a very slight tug it would come apart.

We were planning on chopping it for carnitas so it was fine either way, but I'm curious if this was over or under done.   In the past the overdone ones were crumbly, and this definitely was not.

Point was spot on, but those frickin flat slices are always tough to get perfect! 

Gotta get my facts straight before National Brisket Day comes around... 

Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If all you had was a small section of the flat that failed to get loose then you made the right call but your description falls into the "not done category" as you concluded.   Was the section you mention toward the thin end of the flat or closer to the point?  I would guess closer to the point as usually the thin end will get overdone waiting for the rest of the cow.  Always remember, the cow drives the cook  ;)
    Above said, it is a deep drop going from SRF gold to even a good prime cut. 
    Regardless, the carnitas will be great and National Brisket Day is closing in.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    @lousubcap the crazy thing with this brisket is that the middle part of the flat was thinner than the ends!  The end slice was the thickest part of the flat!  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I've had to go as high as 208 for briskets - but I got really nervous. 

And sometimes you just have to accept that the flat isn't going to be great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Carnitas = Pork...I've never come across that on a brisket.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Carnitas = Pork...I've never come across that on a brisket.
    We have pork butts to that we pulled for the carnitas.  I don't know what to call chopped brisket on tacos, but it was Mexican/BBQ either way :)
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Carnitas can be any protein its just usually pork. I love making it with beef. Although im not sure you can truly call it carnitas but to each their own. 

http://www.jaroflemons.com/slow-cooker-beef-carnitas-tacos/

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Guess the Hispanic population in CA hasn't heard of beef carnitas.   I'm going to have to try Chicken Carnitas.  ;)

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen