Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Bands Large BGE

Options

I just replaced my old bands after many attempts at realignment. I was never successfully able to get the dome and base to line up perfectly. Perfect alignment was never a big deal for me. My egg always functioned well. Then one night I was cooking Pizza's and something happened with my bands and I was not able to close the dome on the egg. I was not able to fix this issue with the bands I have. I called up my dealer and ordered the new bands. Once they arrived, I installed them. Easy as pie and perfect alignment. It seems it may be easier to adjust in the future if things get out of whack again. Big fan of the new design. If you are frustrated with dome alignment or having issues closing, the band assembly is worth the money.

LBGE bought used & one new MBGE, Weber Kettle. Looftlighter, Kick Ash Basket,

East Nasvhille

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Pictures of new band?
  • Chkultr
    Chkultr Posts: 31
    Options
    I just purchased a set of bands from local dealer. Easy to assemble. Seems to make it easier to open the dome. Just doesn't seem to open up as much as the old assembly. 
    Ill take it over having the under bite I always ended up with.
    1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I like the new ones too. Worth the cost. 
  • Willieb9000
    Options
    I just installed a new set myself about 3 weeks ago and agree with all of your comments. Mine had gotten where they would "hang" for no reason periodically when I was trying to close the dome. I would have to reopen it a couple times and then it would close. I also had a major overbite. New bands work great. I also just adjusted them this past weekend because after installing my new Rutland from @RRP I wasn't getting full contact in the back. Loosened two nuts, pushed down in the dome. Tightened the nuts and now have perfect alignment and seal. 

I will say, though, that I think the dome feels slightly heavier when opening than it used to, and I agree it doesn't open quite as far. Both of which are ok with me - just different. 
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have them for the XL and for one of my large eggs, does anyone know if they are available for the small and medium?  I have been tuning up an egg each year and was wondering.  My dealer doesn't really know this kind of stuff.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    I have them for the XL and for one of my large eggs, does anyone know if they are available for the small and medium?  I have been tuning up an egg each year and was wondering.  My dealer doesn't really know this kind of stuff.
    I posted these part numbers for the new band design on an earlier discussion "New band design for the large BGE". 

Replacement Hinge, Band & Handle Assembly for all EGG sizes.

XXLarge EGG – 119421

XLarge EGG – 117908

Large EGG – 117984

Medium EGG – 201072

Small or MiniMax EGG – 201003

Mini EGG – 201393

The part numbers are on the BGE web page but all sizes may not be in production yet. I asked my dealer in April about availability and he said only for the XL and L. Hope the others start showing up soon as I'd like to upgrade the MiniMax.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I think they're updating the medium as well, but not the small, MiniMax, or mini.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    I think they're updating the medium as well, but not the small, MiniMax, or mini.
    Thanks for the update. Guess I'll just have to wait. :s
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    I purchased and gave my son a Large about a month ago. We have a very severe under bite issue  ( about 1/4 " ) with it and have tried every suggestion provided by BGE without success. Are others experiencing this issue right out of the box??  No matter what we've tried there is no correcting the problem. Given this is a new egg and under warranty I'm hoping the mother ship will provide a set of the new bands....???
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Thanks, good news.  I will wait for the medium update before I refresh my bands.

B747crew said:
    I purchased and gave my son a Large about a month ago. We have a very severe under bite issue  ( about 1/4 " ) with it and have tried every suggestion provided by BGE without success. Are others experiencing this issue right out of the box??  No matter what we've tried there is no correcting the problem. Given this is a new egg and under warranty I'm hoping the mother ship will provide a set of the new bands....???
    There are two potential issues in my mind here.  The ceramics could be out of round, either the dome or the base.  Or the bands could be a mess.  I have a mini that I had band issues with.  I bought new bands and still had the issue.  I finally made sure I had good upper and lower gaskets and have not worried about it.  As long as I got a good seal I was ok.  I recently put a rutland on my medium base, and a nomex on the dome.  It worked great on my large, but the medium has an underbite now because of it.  I am going to leave it alone as the seal is really good, even if a little off center.  Good luck, YMMV.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I assembled my mom's large this past weekend. It was already past sunset when attaching the dome. The table/egg were just outside the garage so I still had some light from the garage to work with. First attempt was very close but towards the rear it failed the dollar bill test. Loosened the bands and readjusted. Nice and tight on the gasket in all areas but the bands were touching in the front. Figured I would try once more or I would wait till the next day when I had decent light to work with. The third try worked fine. The dome is centered and I get the resistance of the dollar bill when checking it front to back. I was so glad that it aligned without having to screw around anymore.