Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Hinge vs Old, dome not opening all the way.

Hi everyone, I just got my large egg last week.  The build came with both the new hinge and bands, and the old.  At first I installed the new version, only to be disappointed in how far the lid would open. I couldn't get the dome to open past 60 degrees.  I remembered how the display model opened wide up, dome at almost 80-90 degrees.  So I uninstalled the new bands and put the old style on.  Now the dome opens more appropriately.  My question is, with the improvement of the new bands and hinges, is it worth losing some of the opening capability of the done? 

Comments

• Sorry posted in wrong forum.  Will move. 

• dabrodas
    dabrodas Posts: 26
    I noticed this on my new LBGE as well, but hasn't been an issue for me yet.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Yes the dome does open differently, it doesn't open as wide,, it's more of a backward movement than the older style hinge. I noticed it right away. The only thing I have noticed that it effects is the way I pour the lump into the egg. The angle has to be slightly different. No biggie imo. 

When I switched the band and hinge I also removed the gasket with the intent to replace it that day. Have done many cooks with no gasket and oddly everything works the same even with low and slow. 
    VA Beach
  • Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure I didn't install it correctly.  Using the old hinges, I'm able to use the Joetisserie on it, I'll have to change out to the new hinge and see if it still fits.