Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

Options
so it's been a while since I posted on here, but rest assured, there have been a lot of cooks and a lot of good food. 

For Mother's Day the wife want BB ribs, so I said I'd try. Looking for advice. 

I always see everyone wrap their ribs in foil at some point. I recently did spare ribs and didn't wrap and they turned out GREAT!  Do I need to foil or can I just do 225 ID heat, meat up for 3-4 hours with a water pan?  

Also, on one rack we want them "wet" so when is the best time to add the sauce?  Last 30-60 mins?

as always, thanks for the help. 

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Don't need to foil.

I've done turbo the last few times but when I low and slow I foil and add brown sugar, honey, and butter for another layer of flavor

if you want to wrap do so after the second hour and only leave in the foil for 1-1.5hrs any longer and they'll be mush

if you don't foil maybe try and apple juice and apple cider vinegar spritz every 60-90 min (don't need that either) but would be fun 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks. Love the Fallout pic!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My take on foiling is that it is not necessary unless you want to soak the meat in something sweet like juice that will infuse the meat, for a sweet sticky coating. If you are pressed for time, it speeds things a bit. Myself, I'd rather have as much time in the smoke as possible. I give BBs about 5 hours, dome 250 - 275.

If I want sweet, sauce in the last 15 min works fine.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    Foil will get you a fall-off-the bone result if that is what you want.  No foil and when they pass the toothpick test you will get a little pull on the meat.  No need for a water pan due to the moisture retention properties of the bGE -but your call.  If you use it just make sure to keep water in it (heat sink) or your temp will spike when it is empty.  FWIW-
    Sauce- no more than about 30 minutes before you remove from the BGE.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Thanks. Love the Fallout pic!
    I think you're the first person to recognize it :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll try to remember to post some pics
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About