Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Base and Flaked Dome

Options
EggDan
EggDan Posts: 174
edited May 2017 in Off Topic
Bummer... however, this is another example of why the Lifetime Ceramics Warranty is great.  I have reached out to my Dealer and am awaiting approval.  This is a 3 year old XL BGE and my Dome is flaking and the Base is cracked. I have already gone through a charcoal grate, a plate setter, and a firebox.  I actively inspect the Egg and today was the first time that I noticed a crack.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to most efficiently take the XL Base out of the Nest?  It seems really wedged down in there. Thanks! 

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    One thing i find is that the rubber pads on the nest "stick" to the egg.  Pop each one loose, one at a time before attempting.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • EggDan
    Options
    @kl8ton good call... I will give that a try
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Trust me I'm a do it myself kind of guy, BUT with your record of bum pieces and parts if I were you I would seriously consider demanding my dealer come get that POS and not return it until all the warranty pieces were replaced! And I'd even suggest strongly that he get in touch with Bruce at BGE HQ and get them to throw in a new model band! To my way of thinking you bought a lemon! SQUAWK now or forever regret it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2017
    Options

This probably won't help get the egg out of a nest......but it's great for a table.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ECFFJ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    The dome flaking would annoy me for sure.

As far as the cracks I feel like it's what each owner is willing to accept before they make the claim. Both my base and box have been cracked for over a year. Everything still works ok. I'll wait until I'm ready to fuss about it.   

VA Beach
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    The dome flaking would annoy me for sure.

As far as the cracks I feel like it's what each owner is willing to accept before they make the claim. Both my base and box have been cracked for over a year. Everything still works ok. I'll wait until I'm ready to fuss about it.   

LOL - I hear you and I guess my years here have given me a different experience and tolerance level than you. Hang in there, buddy! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggDan
    Options
    @RRP I agree with you. I failed to mention that when I installed one of your Rutlands I broke a clinch stud, which I've since replaced.  

It doesn't hurt to ask about the band...i'm really piecing this thing together.