Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table build

Options
I have a couple questions. I'm considering building my own table to set my XL egg in and enough side room to set mini max on top of. Ok question 1 can pressure treated lumber be used. I would like a granite top or concrete top so how much consideration has to go in to the shelf the egg sets on to get the right height so the hinge clears and no danger from heat to my table. I struggle with this measurement. But can't seem to be too safe I'm sure 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You first need to determine: what height you want your egg at, what are you sitting the egg on? Table nest?, how thick will finished top be?

Some folks cut a notch for the hinge. I opted to modify the table nest. I wanted extra air movement under the base and this also helped achieve the height I wanted and the hinge clearing the table in all positions. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Ok thank you nphusketfl
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Yes, Pressure treated can be used. My table is 7 years old. I have a 2 inch thick concrete top. I used the plans from the big green egg website. Originally I had it on a paver: I've since redone the decking on the bottom because the heat of the egg burned the decking through the paver. Now the paver is recessed into the bottom and I decked around the paver. The egg is sitting in a table nest on the paver.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Would be interested in a picture of that sounds pretty neat cortgutarman