Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Reminder

Chicago Wine Geek
Chicago Wine Geek Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
8 lb. butt has been on for 13 hours. Remind me agian, when internal hits 200, I pull, wrap in foil, then towels, and rest in a cooler for about 2 hours...right?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]185-200 degrees. Sounds like a good plan.[p]Spin
  • Chicago Wine Geek,
    I usually pull them at 195. Wrap in foil. wrap in newspaper and put in a cooler for at least 3 hours (most of the time its 4 or 5 because I forget about it). If you start pulling at 2 hours it will still be very hot to the touch...burnin fingers hot.
    Doug

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    7c583015.jpg
    <p />Chicago Wine Geek,[p]Temperature will get you in the ball park, but when you can give the bone a twist or a tug and it feels loose, like it wants to slip out clean ... you are ready to foil and move into the cooler for resting.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smoked Signals,[p]Newspaper or towels?

• Chicago Wine Geek,
    You don't HAVE to wrap and store in the cooler if you are ready to eat. I've pulled butts straight after they come out of the cooker and they were just fine. However, if dinnertime is still a few hours away, you can wrap in a couple of layers of HD aluminum foil, and then wrap in either towels or newspaper and place it in the cooler for several hours. If you cooked the meat to 200, you can probably leave the butt in the cooler up to 5 hours before it will dip below 140 degrees.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks Whiz! I'm about to take its temp now and see where we are at after 17 1/2 hours for my 8 lb.'r.

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Chicago Wine Geek,
    I use towels. one folded lining the cooler bottom, one to wrap around foiled butt, another folded on top. Has worked up to 7 hrs, maintaining 160º.

• thirdeye,[p]Not sure if you ever showed that pic before or if I asked this question to you but is there a glaze on the butt? Seems to have a nice shiny look that I don't normally see in other pics. The bark tends to have a dull look. Actually, now that I look at it again, it almost looks like the skin of a chicken[p]Howard

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Howdy Howard,[p]Chicken skin?? Hey man, I work very hard and take real pride in my bark. It's always worth the bite. Heheee.[p]Seriously, bark is too good not to develop to the maximum. All that rendered fat, juices, protiens, sugars etc., exposed to the perfect amount of heat over a long period of time is where it's at flavorwise. That's why end cuts are so popular on a prime rib. So if it's a leg-o-lamb,

e92e0cbc.jpg[p]or a brisket,[p]76361a43.jpg[p]or some big 'ol butts,[p]b0249bcd.jpg[p]I want a good lookin' and good tasting exterior to compliment that sweet meat on the interior. I am in that small group of self-proclaimed old basters. So after the fats have sweated out and the bark has set, I usually spend a little time with a baste or mop. It protects the surface and adds some seasoning and moisture. I also watch color very closely and I will use a foil tent to protect it if it is maturing too quickly. Here are some butts about as dark as I will let them get.[p]de8b37bf.jpg[p]I also play by all the standard lo-n-slo rules. Depending on the cut, I trim fats and meat tags as needed. I generally season and let meat sit at least overnight. I let my fire and smoke settle down and I let everything take it's course.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery