Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo ribs help

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
Hello everyone - it's been a while.  Tried turbo ribs for the first time tonight - 2 hrs at 350 indirect.  Meat on top of bones came out perfectly, but on sides and closer to the bone dried out a good bit.  I'm wondering if water in the drip pan would have helped keep back some of the heat from underneath.  Anyone have this issue?  Thoughts on liquid in the drop pan?  Picture below for my setup - this method definitely has merit, I just need to tweak it a bit it seems.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Jason! Been a LONG time! I thought maybe you had given up on your egg and moved on! Many if not most people here may not recognize you for your gift to Eggdom known as the famous TRex method. Welcome back from wherever you have be hiding all these years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Besides that egging method you also introduced us to the delicious "Dead Man's Sauce" from ShoeboxKitchen.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Mickey is our resident turbo rib guru.

Finally made your Dead Guy sauce. LOVED it!! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TRex
    Options
    Ron, you're too kind, brother.  I'm still in Atlanta and still egging - with kiddos running around just don't have as much time to post these days.  I do miss this community though - thinking about making a return to Eggtoberfest this year.

Hope you're well,

jason
  • TRex
    Options
    CQ - glad you like the sauce!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I've had that issue before.  I've been able to avoid it by either 1) having a good air space between the platesetter and the drip pan or 2) putting liquid in the drip pan.  

I'm convinced that when you are cooking at 350 (dome or grid temp) there is potential for the platesetter to be very hot and give off a lot of radiant heat that will overcook the undersurface of whatever you are cooking.  It doesn't seem to happen every time.  I suspect it may be related to how high I fill the firebox with lump.  If I fill it all the way to just below the platesetter, having the fire that close to the platesetter probably gets it extremely hot.  If there is less charcoal so that there is an airspace between the fire and the platesetter it is not as much of an issue.

I haven't done a serious of scientific experiments to prove this, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ck and make sure you are cooking at 350 and not 450. 
    100 mins is all you need. 

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
     I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 
    @NO WATER IN THE EGG! I use salt in the drip pan. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    Options
    @Mickey what purpose does the salt do in the drip pan? 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mikea5232 said:
    It consolidates the grease.  Perfect waste of good salt ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mikea5232 said:
    Drips don't burn. Don't want water. 
    Just always used salt. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Mikea5232 said:
    It consolidates the grease.  Perfect waste of good salt ;)
    Brent it works for me. Please use what you like buddy. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Mikea5232 said:
    Just always used salt. 
    I get the desire to absorb the rendered fat.  Is it necessary?
  • Mickey
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Mickey said:
    Mikea5232 said:
    Just always used salt. 
    You ask is it necessary? I have no friggin idea if it's necessary. But I can say it has worked for me for years and will keep using on all indirect cooks that drip . I buy two types of salt in 3 lb boxes. 
    This to cook with:

And whatever is on sale cheap to put in my drip
    pan or clean CI cookware. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Mickey said:
    bgebrent said:
    Mickey said:
    Mikea5232 said:
    Just always used salt. 
    You ask is it necessary? I have no friggin idea if it's necessary. But I can say it has worked for me for years and will keep using on all indirect cooks that drip . I buy two types of salt in 3 lb boxes. 
    This to cook with:

And whatever is on sale cheap to put in my drip
    pan or clean CI cookware. 
    I'll run with Mickey.  He's been at a little longer than me.  Pretty sure he has a killer coffee rub too.  Damned sure in fact.
  • Mickey
    Options
    @bgebrent I use the above box for the coffee rub as well. 
    And thank you.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @bgebrent I use the above box for the coffee rub as well. 
    And thank you.
    Thank you man.  Your coffe rub is the bomb.
  • Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    Options
     I'm fairly new to the egging but i need a way to keep the drippings from burning so I'm going to try salt In the pan.   Thanks! 
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mikea5232 said:
     I'm fairly new to the egging but i need a way to keep the drippings from burning so I'm going to try salt In the pan.   Thanks! 
    I came from the world of water pans 100 years ago before meeting the Eggs. We don't (majority of us think) no water pans in the Egg. The salt works for me. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Mikea5232 said:
    You only need to space your drip pan a bit off the plate setter or stone.  3-4 small aluminum foil balls does the trick. No salt required.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I make a drip pan out of AF and the natural wrinkling of it keeps it up off the plate setter. 

As far as drying out, I'll peek at them around 1 hour and give them a nice coat of 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 vinegar solution if I want to slow down the outside a little. Who knows if that makes any sense or what but it seems to work. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Well hell. Now something new I am going to try. Makes sense.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like to go raised direct at about 300. I do flip and rotate a few times.
    I let the fire stoke up a little on the second photo just to knock out some of the smoke so I could take a photo. Pulled the ribs right after the photo. I was not cooking with flames.
    Ribs went on last. Had some chicken in first.
    The cheap, bone in, skin on, split chicken breasts were fantastic. Especially at 99 cents a pound. I will give @MeatChurch a little credit for the rub. First time using his all purpose Gospel. Really a great rub. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas