Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seafood Paella

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Made a seafood paella tonight for a non-traditional Easter dinner. Turned out well, got the soccarat just right. Really need a better paella pan though. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Any time you nail the soccarat is a great cook.  Looks like a true banquet to me.  Congrats.
    Bomba or did you have to use an alternative.  Reason I ask is around here I can find the lower substitute arborio rice with ease.  Not so with trying to get Bomba.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Strong paella cook!!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @lousubcap I used bomba....Amazon.com. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Beautiful. I did a seafood paella for Good Friday - your mussels are much better than what I found. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You are really turning out some good food south of me. 
    Yesterday went by my gun store and Costco in your town. Go there all the time. Just noticed the new WholeFoods and 1000 other new stores I have never noticed. 
    No need to go to Austin now. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Mickey- You implying there are better brisket stops outside Austin??  If so, I'm ready.  Granted it's a serious road-trip but for that consistent level of brisket I will make the pilgrimage.  Hopefully north to save a few miles... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @SciAggie the trick I've found is get the packaged frozen ones, most stores have them and the quality is quite good
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @CPARKTX Thanks for the tip. Are they already in half shells, or do you have to open them?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Mickey- You implying there are better brisket stops outside Austin??  If so, I'm ready.  Granted it's a serious road-trip but for that consistent level of brisket I will make the pilgrimage.  Hopefully north to save a few miles... ;)
    Nothing as to brisket stops my friend. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CPARKTX
    Options
    @SciAggie I've gotten both, but usually they are in the shells but partially opened. Give them a try.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Gorgeous cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SciAggie
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @SciAggie I've gotten both, but usually they are in the shells but partially opened. Give them a try.
    I will. Thanks again. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon