Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE working over time.

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
I normally cook three times a week on my egg. This week I was way to busy to do any cooking. So I'm using my egg today/tomorrow.  I used kiawe wood to smoke some marlin soaked in a Korean BBQ marinade.  Now I'm using the same kiawe wood left in the lump to smoke some beef ribs seasoned with holy cow and Lane's ancho espresso. The last thing left to cook is a 11lbs prime brisket. I'm gonna snuff the fire and re-light it at midnight for the brisket. 
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Great cooks to date with that wood- you are gonna have fun with the brisket cook, that's just what they are.
    Can't tell from the pic, but I would cut a notch across the flat grain run so that once you create the meteorite you know the direction to slice on demand.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  
    Edit:  No kind of sympathy here with livin' on Oahu  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • g37
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks.  I'm still debating if I should snuff the fire or just add fuel and let her keep running.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you have the temp dialed in you may want to reload and keep going-I guess it depends on when you plan to eat the protein.  I realize you are EDT -6 hours so that is quite a run time to midnight.  Either way, it will be a great cook and eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • g37
    Options
    It's 1630 now hopefully the ribs will be done by 1900. They've been on since 1300. My brisket has to be done by 1800 tomorrow. So I'm thinking about putting the brisket on at about 0500 Saturday morning. I was planning on snuffing the fire right after the ribs were done and re-lighting the egg at midnight and letting it run till I put the brisket on at 0400 or 0500.  I have to work tomorrow so I done wanna light my egg at 0200 or 0300. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Roger all-and your plan to have the BGE dialed in well before you load the protein is a big plus.  Given you want to load it up around 0400-0500 I would let it run-reason for that is if you snuff the fire when the ribs are done, then when you relight it you have to make sure it is dialed in before you hit the rack after midnight.  This way you can get a good amount of sleep-get up load and be comfortable with the stability.  Hopefully you have someone around who can make a tweak or two if the BGE requires it as the cook progresses and pull and FTC if finished before you get home.  

• g37
    Options
    I got my flame boss controlling the flame. So I'll probably let her run till tomorrow 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Now we know the rest of the story... ;)  Good call and no worries with the temp-just the finish-line.  Hopefully not an issue.  Enjoy the cook and outcome.  
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    You had me at Marlin !! I would load up the egg with more fuel let it burn for an hour and shut it down. When you relight at midnight you should have burnt off all the bad smoke from the lump and can get your brisket right on the grill. JMO Happy Egging 
  • g37
    Options
    Smoked marlin and beef ribs were pretty good. I decide to re-fuel and keep my egg running but when I checked there was a lot of charcoal left in my basket. So I just kept it going.  The brisket finished at 5 p.m. The next day.  It was for a party with some friends that were dying to try my brisket. The brisket was a hit every loved it. I even got some of my friends debating on getting an egg. Cleaned up the egg and was shocked on how much charcoal was left. Thanks, for looking just wanted to share. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats on the result and now is the time to stop the debate.  Not a Nike fan but "Just do it" comes to mind.  If they are even somewhat interested, better to buy now than buy later and then wonder why they waited so long.  
    No, I don't have any skin in this game other than the realization that I have never met anyone who wished they had differed their BGE buy.
  • g37
    Options
    Is wrong of me to wish and hope they buy an egg and don't like it. Then I could be the lucy recipient of there purchase. Hahaha. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii