Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter? (With brisket...)

Hey Guys,

I'm gearing up to smoke a brisket for a work event for my team of 10 people.  Work event = free meat, so why not go big?!  I'll be ordering from SRF and splurging for the Gold Grade.  For those that have cooked them, is there any downfall to getting the 20+ pounder? Or is 2 - 10 pounders better?  Are the jumbo size briskets tougher since the cow is older/bigger?

This event isn't for 3 weeks so I'll be doing a few more practice runs with my Costco Primes before the Gold.

My only fear on the 20+ pounder is that it will be difficult to fit a shoulder on as well into the XL.  It seems like I would upset the brisket gods if a pork butt was dripping on it for 12 hours...

Thanks guys, 
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    A few comments- I have never cooked that large a brisket so keep that in mind.  First- likely makes no difference but I would run brisket over the shoulder (2 level cook) if only because it seems to require more attention than a butt cook.  With it higher in the dome it will cook a bit faster than one on the gasket line.
    Regarding size, you get a better $$/lb price the higher you go in weight.  
    About the size- I can't tell any texture or taste difference going from around a 10 to 16 lb brisket but the cow is the driver here.  
    You will have plenty of protein if you go with brisket and a butt.  
    All above FWIW-
    Regardless, gonna be a great cook and eats.  Have fun.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited April 2017

You're right about the butt drippings.  It may disturb your bark.  Solution- brisket on top.

In regards to the 2 x 10lbs.  I don't really see a down side.  They would cook faster, allow more spacing flexibility.  Unless someone has reasoning I haven't thought of, id probably go with the smaller briskys for the added flexibility. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Not sure it matters.  I've only done one SRF gold brisket.  They cook quicker than choice briskets I've done in the past and finished in the low 190s.  Have fun, it's some amazing stuff.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    this was butt over brisket, trim all the fat off the butt. how much more bark could i have gotten cooking the brisket on top ;)

Image result for brisket butt fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    @fishlessman I suppose I stand corrected
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Thanks guys - this cook just forced me to order the XL Adjustable Rig, slide bars, extra round and an oval grid, and the Woo.  Nothing like a big cook to force you to pull the trigger on items you've been debating.  $300 later here I am.

Good thing I can expense the proteins.  I'm sure there's a tax write-off for the CGS stuff if they're used for a work party, right?  Hmmm.... :)
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    "Work Equipment"  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    @tjv I just ordered the following:

Should I have just ordered the Woo adjustable combo? Looking back at the order it appears it would have just been $16 extra to add the stone....  Did I miss something?  I already have the original BGE platesetter.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    johnnyp said:
    @fishlessman I suppose I stand corrected
    pretty much every texan in the room will tell you brisket on top, but it fits better on the bottom ;)  and i cant tell the difference but im not texan =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @saluki2007 -  Thanks for the alertment but I offered my 2 cents earlier in this thread and it is just an opinion.  We all know what those are worth.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    this was butt over brisket, trim all the fat off the butt. how much more bark could i have gotten cooking the brisket on top ;)

That brisket looks amazing. 
  • this was butt over brisket, trim all the fat off the butt. how much more bark could i have gotten cooking the brisket on top ;)

I agree. I once cooked a pork butt over a Waygu brisket, which allowed the butt drippings to baste the brisket. The results were great.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    When I have had to cook both a brisket and a pork butt at the same time I went with the pork on top.  If put on at the same time the pork will be done first and you can FTC till the brisket is done to FTC for travel.  As for for size of brisket to cook, I like going bigger then smaller.  Remember you will be trimming at least 2 to 4 pounds off of a 20 pound brisket may be more.

The pork drippings are not going to penetrate the brisket and give it a pork flavor.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    I cooked a butt and brisket this past weekend.  10lb butt over a 17lb brisket.  Both finished the same time. Wrapped the same time.   Both were consistently within a coupe degrees the whole cook.   I maybe got lucky. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Size matters for time. Also always try to find the thickest flat 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf