Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it really grass cutting season.....lets see your stripes

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited April 2017 in Off Topic
 Well it's hard to believe, but today I got to cut the yard for the first time this season.   The stripes came out nice,I love a good pattern. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• ryantt
    @pgprescott I wish my yard looked that good.   

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    No stripes here, I use a mulcher. Not cut yet as it's been raining a lot.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    ryantt said:
    @pgprescott I wish my yard looked that good.   
    Me too!
  • pgprescott
    Looks like you double cut yours. Looks pretty damn good. I won't show my wife. 
  • ryantt
    Yep I double cut it this time, it's rained so much the last 10days it got up over 6inches.   I had to knock it down in 2 passes this time.  

Most of of the season I cut every 2 days to keep up with it. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ryantt
    edited April 2017
    @WeberWho looking good my friend.  What kind of mower do you use?   

• WeberWho
    ryantt said:
    Ha, I wish this was my actual lawn! I just found a stock lawn on the Internet and added a BGE logo to the yard. ;)  

This is what my yard currently looks like:
    I still need to wait a few weeks yet before I can do anything. Still soft from the snow. 

Here's last spring after dethatching the yard:

I don't have anything super fancy but I run a Kubota around the yard:

Whats your toy?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ryantt
    48 inch walk behind not fancy but gets the job done 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @ryantt. Did you use a striper?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • ryantt
    no, that's just the mower laying down the grass really well.  It's a me mark 

• pgprescott
    WeberWho said:
    ryantt said:
    Ha, I wish this was my actual lawn! I just found a stock lawn on the Internet and added a BGE logo to the yard. ;)  

I still need to wait a few weeks yet before I can do anything. Still soft from the snow. 

Whats your toy?
    That dethatching looks like a ball buster. Hope you reap some rewards this season. You deserve it!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @ryantt. 48" Deck for a 1/4-1/2 acre?  Assuming from your first post.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • WeberWho
    edited April 2017
    WeberWho said:
    ryantt said:

Whats your toy?
    That dethatching looks like a ball buster. Hope you reap some rewards this season. You deserve it!
    Thanks pgprescott. I have an electric dethatcher that does a really nice job. Just way to small of a motor for what it does. It finally bit the bullet last year when I borrowed it to a coworker. You can only use it for 20 minutes or so before the motor gets hot and needs a rest. It lasted for 5 seasons. I got my $100 worth out of it. I think I'm going to get a pull behind dethatcher for the garden tractor this year. It probably won't do as good as job but will take 1/16th the time as the walk behind. 

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    @WeberWho I've rented one of the pull behind models for dirt cheap. They don't do what yours would just like you suspected, but it's easy. I just don't want to store one, so I rent it every few years. 
  • WeberWho
    @WeberWho I've rented one of the pull behind models for dirt cheap. They don't do what yours would just like you suspected, but it's easy. I just don't want to store one, so I rent it every few years. 
    That's a great point for renting. My coworker ended up buying another electric dethatcher for me. I told him absolutely not and he bought one anyway. I told him I wouldn't take it. He said he doesn't have the room to store it. So it's sitting in my shed. He didn't wreck the one I borrowed him. I beat the crap out of it the last 5 years before he borrowed it.  So I feel guilty even using the one he bought as he didn't need to buy a new one as a replacement. I'll store and he can use it

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    We had a light rain overnight, and my stripes are already barely visible.  Fun to play with my new 10.5mm Nikkor, though!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ryantt
    edited April 2017
    RedSkip said:
    @ryantt. 48" Deck for a 1/4-1/2 acre?  Assuming from your first post.  
    I have just over 1/2 acre of grass, but cut much more than that.   I do 6 homes in my area plus  my  wife's parents. They  have an 1-1.25 that gets done weekly.  I also have a ztr for my church.  That ones a 72inch 7 iron deck by jd.  

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ryantt
    edited April 2017
    @Focker that makes me sad and laugh all at the same time.  

Last year "someone" backed up into my yard and made a mess, they offered to come help me fix it, but.....I told him you've  helped enough  already. His parents who  built  the house across the street from me couldn't stop laughing when I told him that.   The poor kid was  terrified to tell me, because he hit my mailbox at the same time, and thought I'd be mad about that. No could care less about that, just my grass. 

• ryantt
    @JohnnyTarheel those look awesome.   Well done sir well done.  

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    ryantt said:
    @JohnnyTarheel those look awesome.   Well done sir well done.  
    Thank you sir... yours as well... I love to work in the yard....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I never have to de-thatch.   I use a mulching mower.  What causes the need to de-thatch??
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • moldaker
    moldaker Posts: 17
    North Central WV
    Large BGE
  • WeberWho
    JethroVA said:
    I never have to de-thatch.   I use a mulching mower.  What causes the need to de-thatch??
    It gives room for new grass to grow and helps with water/rain

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    JethroVA said:
    You'd almost need to dethatch in some way since you use a mulching mower. The clippings get compact at the soil level, not allowing oxygen and water to penetrate the roots. Don't have to dethatch lime Weber,  but could areate  (plug) your yard helps. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ryantt
    I plug every spring, before I start the the yearly fertilizing ritual 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2017
    I cut mine on Saturday...no pictures...Getting started on the yard....finally the cold has passed.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow