Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is finding a rock in your Rockwood like....

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
.....finding a prize in your Crackjack box? I happen to be right damn excited.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    My collection is very small.....  So I do consider it a prize; a prize I chunk into the neighbor's yard!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    In the many bags of Rockwood I have opened I have only found one, it was a large one too about 4lbs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2017
    I heard @stlcharcoal was running a contest very similar to Willy Wonkas Golden ticket.  There's a special prize for the much searched out but hard to find rocks. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    JRWhitee said:
    In the many bags of Rockwood I have opened I have only found one, it was a large one too about 4lbs.
    That's like the gran prize. I might take a picture and send it to rock wood.  That might be like the golden chocolate ticket bar off Willy Wonka
    Madison, AL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Found a fist size one in RO not yet in RW. 
  • I can remember when they had good prizes in Cracker Jacks.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    How about those Lady Cocks!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    JRWhitee said:
    How about those Lady Cocks!
    1 down....3 games to go!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    1 pound 3.2 oz

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I never found one in the bag. I find them in the ash after a cook. It is a prize, as I have not found many since using Rockwood exclusively. Maybe 3-4, all small, in the last couple of years.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I've found a few.  Not terribly common.  They go into my RW Rock collection around a drain.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    I haven't found one yet. Granted I'm a fairly new RW convert, but I've burned a couple hundred lbs. Before switching it was a very common find. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I found one recently too. Mine has also seems to be sparking a lot more than usual. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    If you're worried about a rock, stick to propane. 
  • Has anyone ever had one of the rocks blow up? From what I understand if you get them hot enough rocks can explode. Eggs are capiable of getting into the 1000s degree range seems like a bomb waiting to explode in your face. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    If you ain't finding a few rocks here and there you aren't burning enough lump!! Egg on!!!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Just did my third cook using the same lump, in my XL, even after removing some for a cook in the MM.
    BGE and Rockwood, tough to beat. Rocks and all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2017
    If it's a sedimentary rock that has moisture trapped in it from millions of years ago, yes it can boil and pop.  But it would have to be perfect storm for it to "explode" per se.  If it has moisture trapped in it, it probably has other stuff too,  and should split prior to turn into a bomb.  Not saying it can't happen.  I've had a few "blow up" over the years......you just hear a loud snap, see so sparks, and find a rock perfectly split in 2-3 pieces when you clean out the ash.

If any of those are in there, they should have split during the kiln.  More than enough heat there.
  • Still haven't found one and been through at least a dozen bags. And prepping for a mojo pork shoulder tonight. Had to take advantage of the awesome bge warranty too. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• northGAcock
    Before the conspiracy thread starts, no the Russians have not been adding rocks to our bags to weigh them down.  Missouri is a very rocky place, and kilns break down due to extreme heat.  A charcoal covered rock looks no different than a chunk of charcoal, so aside from floating them across a water bath, there's no way to sort them out.  So, there's an extra .4-.6# of charcoal in every bag to cover for any rocks, foreign material, machine error, etc.  Add all those 1/2#'s up over the course of the year, subtract the occasional rock, and you're coming out ahead (unless you have really bad luck.)  As always, satisfaction guaranteed--feel free to take it back for a refund, but please don't ever buy it again because we can never guarantee a rock-free bag (nor can anyone else.)
    As the OP,  I am a very happy customer....and have found only a few in my years of using your lump. This was intended as a backhanded compliment. Happy customer, just stirring the pot on a Friday night with a few cocktails. All good here.

• jtcBoynton
    I really like Rockwood, think it is a quality product.  But why did they ever name it after the two things you do not want in your lump charcoal - Rocks and Wood?  I think someone has an interesting sense of humor.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I really like Rockwood, think it is a quality product.  But why did they ever name it after the two things you do not want in your lump charcoal - Rocks and Wood?  I think someone has an interesting sense of humor.

Geographic location we're in......my favorite state park to hike in.  Everything is 'rockwood something' here (bank, lumber, school district, etc.)
  • jtcBoynton
    Thanks, I always wondered.  I will still smile every time I open a bag to see if I get the wood or the rock prize!!!    =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 74
    I have yet to find a rock, but check out this little gem that exposed itself for tonight's wing cook. It looks expensive. I wonder if I should ship it back to RO?
  • northGAcock