Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket almost done

Herm
Herm Posts: 206
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first brisket is currently at 165 degrees. Fire went well overnight. Just had to make a couple tweaks here and there.
I have just a couple final questions.
-Should I foil and return to the cooker? or leave it as is?
-Should I baste with something?
-and what temp. should I pull it at?[p]Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Herm,
    I'm definitely not a brisket expert but I foil at 160 and put back on the egg until 200.

• Herm
    Hasenpheffer,[p]Should I put any liquid in the foil?

• Herm,
    You could add a little apple juice if you like but I don't think it is necessary.

• Herm
    Hasenpheffer,[p]Thanks!
    I just wrapped it in foil. It looks and smells great!

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Herm,
    I believe that most that do brisket don't have good results cooking one of the toughest pieces of meat on the cow. They hail the brisket in Texas but I can't quite understand why anyone including myself would purchase a brisket to do on the Egg when I could have ribeye or prime rib. Go figure. Some will tell you that the one they cooked was moist, tender juicy and great tasting. Maybe it is me that just can't get the damn piece of shoe leather to come out like my steaks. On the other hand, I guess it would make some pretty good jerky. I have done corn beef brisket and made some pretty good jerky or pastrami. You can bet when I do a low and slow as you have to do the brisket, I choose butt. I hope yours turns out well, but if not, your jaws will get a good workout. [p]Chef Jerry

• Herm
    Jwirlwind,[p]When it's good, I really like it. I've had some bad ones for sure. I just pulled it and put it in the cooler, so I'll give you an update in a couple hours.
    I threw a fattie on just in case!

• Hasenpheffer,
    One of the keys to turning tough meat into tender moist meat (usually a pork cut or beef)..is to marinate for 2-4 hours in a cider vineger based marinade(it breaks down the protein). The following is a supurb recipe: 1.5 Cups of cider vineger, 1/3 C of firmly brown packed brown sugar, 1/4 C of ketchup, 1 T of hot smoke, 1 tsp browning and seasoning sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp worcestershire......cook/stir often in medium heat.cover/chill...keep a cup a side to mop on in the last hour of cooking...awesome ...The other key is to always cook with moisture....a large pan of apple juice poured into a drip plan. and dont open your lid...for at least 2-3 hours of cooking time...225 (low and slow)

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    gordons1,
    I had a guy installing my satelite dish on Friday that said they used this marinade, or similar to it, only they vacumned it. They have a comp team and one of them makes boats and has an industrial vacumn system to pull molds. Anyway, Apparently they left it under a vacumn too long and when they finished cooking it it wouldn't come off the grill due to falling to pieces.[p]I'm going to try yours. Thanks for the post!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Jwirlwind,
    Used Dr. BBQ's championship brisket recipe for the first time yesterday. Did three briskets. Best I've ever had. Followed the recipe and temp exactly. It did not take 12 hours as he stated it would. 190 temp was reached in 7/8 hours.
    You got to try this recipe!
    Hammer