Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

having trouble keeping temps below 300 steady

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not exactly sure what im doing wrong but i cant keep temps below 300 steady for longer than 20 or 30 minutes. i fill firebox up to a lil past the holes which i assume is enough for say a 5 or 6 hour ribs cook. temp fluctuates alil more than i want thats all.

Comments

• Luis,[p]Did you try cleaning out the current coals and building the fire the sizewise method? Large chunks at the bottom, Medium sized in the middle, and small on top? [p]Sometimes if the coals are not uniformly distributed, batches of coals might light and die off in a nonuniform way. That's just my perception, I could be wrong. I think it's important to pay attention to the distribution.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Luis,[p]Fill the fire box up to the top of the bottom fire box. That way the fire will have a place to run to and keep going.[p]Your egg controls temperature by limiting the amount of oxygen available to the fire. The egg heats up much slower than it cools down, so you need to catch the temp as it rises. Close the vents down early (25 degrees below desired temp) and allow the egg to stabilize. Then tweek the vent(s) open a tad to get the temp to rise to the cooking temp.[p]Spin
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Luis,
    You need a Lucy. Do a search on the other egg forum. I've got one and worth 100 times the $10.

• Luis,[p]My first guess would be an air leak. How's your gasket? Is your air vent rusted or not sealed properly? I just replaced my gasket because there were so many gaps that I couldn't keep the temps down.[p]You might also change your lump. I tried the 365 brand from whole foods (Cowboy lump re-branded) and it burned a lot hotter than the Royal Oak that BGE sells. [p]When everything is sealed up well, and my egg is clean (free of old ash) and my lump is good (large chunks, quality product), I can keep 'er at 160-180 for smoking salmon for days...with very little tweaking.[p]-r [p]

• Spin, Maybe slower is faster. Heats up fast, cools down slow. (smile) [p]Bill

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    HillbillyWilly,[p]Definitely prior to morning coffee! [p]The egg does heat much faster than it cools.[p]Spin