Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's using what Lump

Options

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Basques Natures Own
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Yeah I'd say rockwood works very well for you. Been killing it as long as I've been watching. Rock on man! 
    Snellville, GA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    I use matchlight kingsford.  Lights quick, good ash, and great flavor.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I use matchlight kingsford.  Lights quick, good ash, and great flavor.
    It lights faster and gets up to stable temp if you douse it with some kingsford lighter fluid.  Has to be Kingsford!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I miss $6 Ozark Oak 10lb bags. I've had to switch over to Rockwood for weeknight cooks. I'll use Royal Oak for low and slow on weekends where I have the extra time for the heavy smoke to clear out
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Rockwood and fogo. My local guy has a great selection.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Mostly Rockwood as it's convenient to order from Firecraft, use quite a bit of Royal Oak as well. I notice zero difference between RO and Rockwood.

Just finishing up my first bag of Fogo, great stuff that I'll use more of moving forward.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @B747crew you started this thread a day early - Lump debates are much more fun to watch on Friday evening - well fueled by bourbon etc!  :)  In th end - personal choice, convenience/availability, and wallet will drive your preference

FWIW I tried BGE/RO (same stuff, different bag), Cowboy (it was on sale at whole foods) and Rockwood.  SWMBO found the more neutral flavor of RW preferable which made my choice for me! (and it seems to allow smoking chunks when I use them to show through more clearly)  I do think I get better "yield" on L&S as well.  Cowboy was rough...  

RW is also convenient for me as I just order from Firecraft online and UPS delivers - as long as you order in multiples of 3 it comes packed tightly in a box with just the 3 bags.  I just reorder when I'm down to a bag or 2 and, since Firecraft is about 30 min from me, it usually arrives the next day.  If I order 6 (or smoking wood chunks, sauces, rubs) I easily cross into free shipping.  I have no ties to either RW or Firecraft - but have had great discussions with the Firecraft team about rubs and sauces - seems their customer service staff may compete in Q?
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just read about California legislation to push for more air quality control, targeting carbon particulate contamination to be reduced significantly below 2013 levels. 
    Can't wait to see how they choose to reduce that from wildfires.
    They also want to lower methane (cow manure) and HFCs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    This minimizes your exposure to the sparks. 

• Brandongodfrey
    Options
    I use a looftlighter and let the sparks fly ! That would change if I was on a deck . It's amazing how fast you can be ready to go with that style lighting . 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Rockwood had the worst sparking I have ever encountered, worse than the Sam's mesquite kaka...it was beyond ridiculous.

RO til I die.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Focker said:
    Rockwood had the worst sparking I have ever encountered, worse than the Sam's mesquite kaka...it was beyond ridiculous.

RO til I die.
    stirring the fudge early this morning are we?  =)=)=)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    There's a butcher shop here locally that has Nature Glo for like $18 a bag. It burns good, gives a plesant smell, and lasts a long time so it's my economical choice.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Where are all the charbroil center cut fans? 
    lets have a shout out!!!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Primarily RW, although I always have some Wegmans brand lump around too, which is made by RO.  I've just always had better luck with the Wegmans brand than with the RO red bags.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    +1 for RO here... red and green bags currently in inventory
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    First bag I ever bought was rockwood and I just can't seem to try anything else!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Where are all the charbroil center cut fans? 
    lets have a shout out!!!
    I admitted near the top of this thread that I use if for hot 'n fast cooks.

I also have some BGE but it seems to take longer to clear the smoke and leaves more of a charcoal taste in some food.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Rockwood is readily available and I've never paid full price for a bag due to ACE hardware coupons. No need to bother with anything else. 

If you add up the value of the protein you put on the grill and how many cooks you get out of a bag ( The OP has a medium so a bag goes a long way), the cost of charcoal is a small factor. The difference between the top brands and lower grade stuff is probably 50 cents a cook.  
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    This minimizes your exposure to the sparks. 

Great idea. I don't have a handy hose on mine but I will before the weekend is over. 
    Snellville, GA

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I've used Frontier, Royal Oak, Carbon Del Sur, Kamado Joe, Primo, Fogo, Cowboy and some no name from Restaurant depot. Worse bag ever: wife brings home a bag of "Pit Master" from Shop Rite. They have RO. I asked for RO. Pit Master is on sale. So I have 20 lbs of Pit Master. Item: Inside of bag is oily and the lump smells of petroleum. Item: There are a half dozen pieces the size of my fist and the rest is crumbs. No dust. It's stuck to the grease in the bag? Item: Lighting with torch creates the illusion that I am setting off bottle rockets in my medium. Amazing amount of sparks. Item: Once FINALLY lit it appears I am sending up smoke signals to some long ago forgotten tribe or maybe the yard is on fire. Smoke clears after about 2 hours and now its time to cook! Except that there's almost nothing left. Never seen lump burn this fast. I'll take Cowboy over this "Pit Master" any day. Didn't even save it for a clean burn, took it to the curb.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Rockwood

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I just got back from local Home Depot and bought 3 large bags of RO for $9.97 per bag. That's just about 1 free bag for 2 in most stores.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    just picked up 2 bags cowboy, i buy whatevers there thats convenient =) i stopped buying expensive clean burning lump, i like the taste of food cooked over lump, why would i want a flavorless clean burning lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Rockwood is readily available and I've never paid full price for a bag due to ACE hardware coupons. No need to bother with anything else. 

If you add up the value of the protein you put on the grill and how many cooks you get out of a bag ( The OP has a medium so a bag goes a long way), the cost of charcoal is a small factor. The difference between the top brands and lower grade stuff is probably 50 cents a cook.  
    Its like the guys who used to drive 20 miles out of their way to save a nickel on a gallon of gas in their 15 gal tank.?????????
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    I've been hooked on B&B for the last couple of years.  I get it at Academy Sports.  They have a few different types - oak (brown bag), hickory (green bag), or mesquite (red bag).  I really like how mild the oak is.  Hickory is great for pork shoulders or something that you want a little extra flavor on.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Is Wicked Good available anywhere?? I love this stuff and still have some but would buy more in a flash
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Fogo red bag
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options