Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing small dome

Options
awm
awm Posts: 181
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to install a rutland gasket on my small egg. I remember my large came with the white tabs for the hinges but don't remember them for my small. I tried looking it up but cant find anything on removing the dome on a small egg. Does anyone have any links or, do I just unbolt and take off. Also any good tips on the rutland before I dive in it other than naked whiz site? Thanks

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You can unbolt and take off. I had mine off my small a month ago when working on it. Best to remove the dome in the closed position. Much easier to remove than the large egg dome. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Don't use a hammer on the ceramic.  That is all the advice I have. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Don't use a hammer on the ceramic.  That is all the advice I have. 
    Agreed, but when putting the dome back in place, if you tap lightly all along the band with a rubber hammer as you're tightening the band it will take the slack out.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited March 2017
    Options
    awm said:
    I'm getting ready to install a rutland gasket on my small egg. I remember my large came with the white tabs for the hinges but don't remember them for my small. I tried looking it up but cant find anything on removing the dome on a small egg. Does anyone have any links or, do I just unbolt and take off. Also any good tips on the rutland before I dive in it other than naked whiz site? Thanks
    No need to remove the dome, but some people find it easier to work with. BTW I "know" the dude who wrote those OLD directions used on TNW site...and using the Rutland adhesive is not a good idea, but what do I know? ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options
    RRP said:
    awm said:
    No need to remove the dome, but some people find it easier to work with. BTW I "know" the dude who wrote those OLD directions used on TNW site...and using the Rutland adhesive is not a good idea, but what do I know? ;)
    Thanks, I actually ordered them from you probably 3 or 4 years ago, knowing I'd need them one day and that day finally came for my small. I got the permatex ultra copper like the directions said.  I was wondering if the dome really needed to come off, I think I'll try just leaving it on.  Thanks