Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reuben eggrolls

Options
blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971
started with a corned beef flat. De-salted for 24 hours. Then rubbed with pastrami spice and rested 24 hours. Smoked, then wrapped up tight to soften up. 

The pastrami spice was a gift from a really kind gentleman who knew I liked curing and smoking. He passed away last week, so this smoke was for him!

The pastrami was awesome. Chopped up and combined with rinsed sauerkraut and Swiss cheese. Into a wrapper and deep fried, served with thousand island as a dip. 

Happy Saturday!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    D A Y U M!!!!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Awesome- great idea
    Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like the story and your cook a lot my friend!  Great cook!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That looks wonderfully yummy! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I'm in love......
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Hell ya! 
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    You win
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    WOW!
    Flint, Michigan
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    That looks absolutely amazing

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I just love that idea! YUM!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Off the charts. Bookmarked and stolen. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great post and I'll tip one for your friend. Sorry. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Awesome fusion.
    Saw some reuben tacos recently in Adam's "Tacos", that looked killer.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blind99
    Options
    Thanks all - I certainly was not the first to do this - steal away!

I wish I had tried egg rolls sooner. who knew they were so easy to make?  what else can i stuff into one???
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Interesting use! 
    I had not even read this until now AFTER I had divided up the left over corned beef from last night for Reuben's and some breakfast corned beef hash. I really do like your idea! 
    Since someone LOL just brought up using left over corned beef does anyone have a kick butt recipe? All I ever did was use left over CB and some potatoes and while I like the results my wife always shies away and just has some toast! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    blind99 said:

I wish I had tried egg rolls sooner. who knew they were so easy to make?  what else can i stuff into one???
    Left over pulled pork with slaw. Dip in BBQ sauce.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

Might be time to bust out the fry daddy! 

What kind of oil did you use? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Rrainman
    Rrainman Posts: 9
    Options
    I've had these at McGuire's Pub in Ft. Walton Beach.  They are amazing!!  I'm sure yours take it to the next level.  I've rarely had a meal at a restaurant that cannot be made better at home!!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Yes!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• blind99
    Options
    @rrainman when i was looking for how to make these, there was a clip of them being made at a place called mcguire's.  not sure if it's the same one, but they were making the wrappers and the corned beef from scratch and i think the dressing too - impressive for a bar!

@dmw that's a great idea, i definitely want to do that.

@jacksdad yep, i used my good old wedding present fryer. i don't know what oil it was - it was a gallon of wal mart's finest "vegetable oil." used part for the fried chicken and the rest for these.  fried stuff is the most delicious.

@rrp i love hash but can't say i make it a lot or have a recipe.  all i can offer is that i like a cast iron pan for making it browned and crispy.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    blind99 said:

Philly cheese steak, BBQ of any style, or pizza toppings fried in egg roll wrappers are great apps. Heck, the sky is the limit. Perfect way to make an ethnic themed appetizer.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Yum yum yummy!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    RRP said:
    Interesting use! 
    I had not even read this until now AFTER I had divided up the left over corned beef from last night for Reuben's and some breakfast corned beef hash. I really do like your idea! 
    Since someone LOL just brought up using left over corned beef does anyone have a kick butt recipe? All I ever did was use left over CB and some potatoes and while I like the results my wife always shies away and just has some toast! 
    Try sweet potatoes.  Peel and cube them up, quick cook in microwave then into a frying pan with diced onions until they start to crisp/caramelize.  Add the diced corned beef/pastrami, cook to crisp a bit then serve with a couple of runny eggs.  You can add anything to it, but I think sweet potatoes go really well with that salty meat.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Ok, so I made some tonight. Lordy mercy they are good! Thanks for posting. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @rrainman when i was looking for how to make these, there was a clip of them being made at a place called mcguire's.  not sure if it's the same one, but they were making the wrappers and the corned beef from scratch and i think the dressing too - impressive for a bar!

@dmw that's a great idea, i definitely want to do that.

@jacksdad yep, i used my good old wedding present fryer. i don't know what oil it was - it was a gallon of wal mart's finest "vegetable oil." used part for the fried chicken and the rest for these.  fried stuff is the most delicious.

@rrp i love hash but can't say i make it a lot or have a recipe.  all i can offer is that i like a cast iron pan for making it browned and crispy.
    Not my idea, thank @travisstrick
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150510/bless-me-father-for-i-have-sinned/p1

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Wow those look killer. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blind99
    Options
    @SciAggie awesome! What's the filling on the left?

• SciAggie
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @SciAggie awesome! What's the filling on the left?

I had some hamburger and rice left over from cabbage rolls, so I used it with the extra egg roll wrappers. It was good with honey mustard sauce.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NoJokeSmoke
    Options
    That is an awesome idea!  I see some of that in my near future!