Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a Small question.

CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The family and I are heading up to the Grandparents for Labor day weekend. They have requested that I grill for them and i've almost decided to purchase that long-awaited Small Egg to take along and show them some good cooking. Will a Small be able to feed 5 Adults? I'd like to do Steaks one meal and perhaps Ribs another. I've never even seen the small in person and don't have a good concept of it's capacity. I just can't even think of hauling my Large with us so......

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    CT Grillguy,
    IMHO ribs for 5 would be a stretch. Steaks in rotation would be okay, depending on size maybe two even three if filets. Burgers I think probably 6 or 7. ABTs kicking up towards 20. I've cooked 16 on mine before.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    dhuffjr,
    Ribs may be the easiest part; CT Grillguy only needs 3 or 4 racks. After I prepped them, I'd roll each rack and tie it with string, then put them on the grill with the end of the bones down. They'll cook in about the same time as if they were laid flat, and when done easily unroll for serving.[p]Ken

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    CT Grillguy,[p]You are indeed courageous to buy an egg and entertain on the first cook ever. Not something I would try until experienced. It took me three tries to get ribs to come out to the desired state, even with all the help on the forum. [p]Woody
  • Woody54,[p]Sounds like he's already got a large, so he's got the experience.
  • CT Grillguy,
    Draw a 13" circle on something and then imagine the placement of the food. You might want to do something like a pork loin or leg of lamb, where you have a big piece of meat that you are roasting. You could probably pull off the ribs with a raised grid and a regular grid with a drip pan. Old Dave is simply amazing at how much he can cook on the small. Have you seen some of his posts?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    boneheadmovers.jpg
    <p />CT Grillguy,[p]You should be able to feed 5 pretty easily with your small but I think it would be easier to cook larger cuts of meat like pork loin, tenderloin, flank steak, london broil, tri tip and so on rather than trying to cook a bunch of small stuff like chicken parts for 5. And like Ken said, you can cook ribs by rolling them and cooking indirect.[p]Moving the large egg is not as hard as you may think. If you have the room, you might consider it. Two adults can easily move it to and fro. And having the large will give you a lot more grill space over the small.... besides, you're already familiar with the cooker and you can wow them with the specialties you've already honed on the large.[p]john[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    ad610344.jpg
    <p />CT Grillguy,
    while i do like my small, my large is the travel egg. like has been said, for a larger group, roasts are the way to go with a small, not that other things cant be done.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    CT Grillguy,
    Ya can take a peek at mine if you in or around Milford.
    dublin

• fishlessman,[p]Ok, WHERE did you get that contraption....I want one!! Unfortunately, our "large" vehicle is a Subaru Forester. Great car, but not much cargo room when you've got two kids to haul. The Large would take up a bit too much room. But for the price of a small egg, I could get that contraption you've got there and buy a small trailer![p]
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]No I haven't but I'll try and look them up. I think the gratemates set up allows you to use two grids or an elevated grid and a heat barrier. so that would allow for some flexibility. [p]I'm so torn!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    CT Grillguy,
    i made up the pieces and my brother welded it up, its a one of a kind. if you could put a 2x2 reciever on the forester, one of those small cargo platforms would work well and you will get a little extra cargo space

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    CT Grillguy,
    I seem to remember a bit of a learning curve going from a small to a medium. Even with several years under my belt it took at lest a couple cooks to feel really comfortable. Roasting a larger cut does sound like the safer route.[p]What a great excuse to grow the fleet!

• WooDoggies,[p]I noticed that you guys are holding it by the handle on the front. Isn't that the handle to the lid? How do you keep the lid from popping open?
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Rob,[p]They are holding the hinge in the front, not the handle. In the back they are holdingthe bottom of the egg[p]Woody
  • PETE
    PETE Posts: 44
    fishlessman,
    Would it be possible for you to post the dimensions of your carrier?[p]Rob

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Rob,[p]Woody is right. Those two are holding onto the hinge.
    I wouldn't suggest carrying it this way unless you are double certain that the band has been tightened and secured just prior to lifting.[p]john