Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Fatty!

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All this talk about fatties has had my mouth watering for some time now. All I needed was the time to try one. I can't believe I waited so long. So simple, yet sooooooooooo good!!!!! If you haven't done one yet put it on your list of "must do" cooks.[p]Here's a pic of the hot italian fatty coated with DP Red Eye Express[p]H-ITfattywithRedEye.jpg[p]Here's the finished product after about 2 hours @ 375° indirect[p]My1stfatty.jpg[p]Great smoke ring and an even better flavor[p]1stfattyendview.jpg[p]I cooked it to 175° internal temp. Breakfast is served for the rest of the week!![p]Jim

Comments

• smokn gramma g
    Options
    JSlot,
    I had just posted a message not to long ago, wondering what a fattie was! That looks soooo good! Loaded with cholesterol! MMMMM
    I am sorry, but never heard of a fatty till I hit this board! Did I tell you that looks good! mmmmmmmm
    Can you please explain to me how to do them in detail!
    thanks
    gayle

• JSlot
    Options
    Hi, Gayle. This has to be one of the simplest cooks to do. A lot of bang for the buck, so to speak.[p]Many folks just take a one pound tube of bulk sausage (Jimmy Dean, Rudy's Farm etc.) and remove it from the wrapper. Try to keep the same shape. I used two pounds of fresh hot italian sausage from a local grocer (casings removed).[p]I molded it into the shape you see and coated it liberally with DP Redeye Express.[p]I put it on the 375°-400° Egg over a plate setter (legs up) and drip pan (under grid, on plate setter).[p]I cooked the fatty until the internal temp was 175°. I removed it and let it rest 20 minutes or so before slicing. That's about it.[p]Jim
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    JSlot,
    Have you read the book called "Tipping Point"? Good read, but all that aside, your post was my personal tipping point -- I am doing one of those tomorrow.[p]Looks great -- now I just have to decide what kind of sausage.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    JSlot,
    You forgot to stuff it, Cut a pocket in the middle and add some sliced fresh japs and good cheese, seal it up and cook as you did. Now I know what I've got to cook this sunday. Leftover fatties are the best, just pan fry with some overeasy eggs and put it all on some thin sliced tomatos, yea heaven.

• smokn gramma g
    Options
    JSlot,
    thanks, just printed that and think will try it soon!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    JSlot,
    You've got more self control than I do. Last one I did I ate half that evening munching and finished it off the next day!

• JSlot,[p]Just wondering if you used any smoke for the fatty?
  • JSlot
    Options
    I didn't use any smoke wood, Art. When I cook a recipe for the first time, I usually don't add any. I want to taste the flavor of the food. Then, I can gauge what kind and how much smoke to add next time for our tastes. The lump imparted a nice smoky flavor without any help.[p]Jim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    JSlot,
    dont try fresh keilbasa stuffed with cheese, those are going to be the death of me

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    As wobin states, there is a lot you can do with a fatty - have some fun. Take some store bought saugage and add what ever sounds good to ya. Here I added cream cheese and peppers and covered with some DP.[p]2006_0409FoodandSuch0007.jpg[p]2006_0409FoodandSuch0011.jpg[p]Good stuff and easy to do.