Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Airless Paint Sprayer

Does anyone have any experience with these? I recently bought a new house that needs the entire interior painting, including cabinets and molding. I was thinking of getting a sprayer to save time and they supposedly have a cleaner finish than rolling or brush. Please share your experiences and reviews, good, bad or indifferent. 
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I think most professional painters will tell you that you should still roll as you spray. I was thinking I'd be able to do the same when I bought my sprayer. I found most still roll as they spray for better adhesion and longer durability. My buddy use to paint professionally and they would always roll as they sprayed. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Agree with @WeberWho.  I've also heard that if you don't backroll, anytime you do a touch up it will show.

I really dislike painting - good luck. 

Phoenix 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    One other thought, are you painting it all one color or changing colors often? I believe, the sprayers waste a lot of paint if you have to change frequently. 

I would also check a tool rental shop (or call Sherwin Williams and see where you could rent one). For something you will use that infrequently it's probably better to rent than buy. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    WeberWho said:
    I think most professional painters will tell you that you should still roll as you spray. I was thinking I'd be able to do the same when I bought my sprayer. I found most still roll as they spray for better adhesion and longer durability. My buddy use to paint professionally and they would always roll as they sprayed. 
    does the back rolling just even out the paint? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    bhugg said:
    WeberWho said:
    does the back rolling just even out the paint? 
    I'm learning myself. I have to paint my house this summer as well. I think one of the advantages of rolling after spraying is that the roller will get into spots the sprayer might not be able to get into. 

You might want to check Craigslist for a used sprayer. I found my Graco sprayer that retails for around 4 bills for $70. They used it once to spray their barn. People use them once or twice than they sit. So people are usually looking to move them 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have used HVLP sprayer to paint trim before I installed it and was very happy with the results. Using any sprayer takes some learning and you will have overspray I promise.... When I did my trim boards I made a paint room out of a bedroom and had a fan in the window blowing out a window. I hate painting, I would just use a roller and brush. Good luck.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i could see removing cabinet doors and moldings and spraying them flat, but rolling everything else.  im happy with the walls and ceiling the same color white =) no brush work cutting in the ceiling wall joint
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Jupiter Jim said, HVLP is what you need to paint things like cabinets. It could be used to paint trim before installing it, but a regular airless sprayer will work for that. 
    For reference, an HVLP sprayer is totally different from a regular airless sprayer. HVLP High Volume Low Pressure. Reg Airless is High Volume High Pressure.......think over spray.
    A regular airless sprayer is like using a shotgun to circumcise a gnat. It is fine to paint exterior siding and trim, but is out of control when it comes to paining a kitchen cabinet.

As far a painting interior walls, an airless sprayer can be used, but the wall will need to be back rolled with a regular roller.

I do have a pressurized roller attachment for my commercial Graco airless sprayer. It uses a special roller that is perforated with holes to allow the paint to flow out through the roller. It works well, but can be cumbersome to use. Rolling a wall requires a certain amount of finesse in order to prevent roller marks. This finesse is difficult to obtain with the pressure roller due to the weight of the paint hose on the roller pole.

I think in the right hands a high quality roller cover and an adjustable pole is hard to beat if your looking for a high quality finish.

I also recommend buying the beat quality pain you can afford. Cheap paint is a miserable way to spend the day.

I also recommend using a product called Flowtrol on latex paint to make it lay down and eliminate brush/roller marks. If you are using oil based paint get Penetrol. It's amazing how much better the paint will perform.