Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple, any good?

Options
Dec
Dec Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just came into some maple. The guy who gave it to me said that I should not use it for cooking. Only in the fire place. Is this true?[p]Thanks,[p]Dec

Comments

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Dec,[p]I don't know what the person who gave you the wood was talking about. Unless the wood has become contaminated in some way with chemicals. [p]If not, then know that Sugar Maple and its relatives have been a primary smoking wood since our founders came to Minnesota and Wisconsin. It is outstanding. It is especially good for smoking sausages and ham or any pork.

I just smoked some sausage (70% pork - 30% beef) that I made in my home-made smoker last Monday. Had two rings for lunch today. Was it good or what? No, it was absolutely heaven for sausage lovers like my wife and me.[p]I would say you are lucky to have a maple source, unless you live up North or near Eastern Mts where it is plentiful. Use it in your BGE as a smoke source and enjoy it while it lasts. If the wood is green, cut it into three by one strips (bark on) and put on a hot fire. If the wood is dry, cut it, then soak in water for 10-15 minutes before putting it on the hot fire.[p]Enjoy it![p]Good Luck to you..[p]Anthony

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]If that is the case, I will try to get more. A guy at work is also going to give me 1/4 of his walnut tree. My next move is apple.[p]Thanks,[p]Dec

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p] I second your emotion. Nothin' better for pork than sugar maple IMHO . . .[p]MikeO
  • Dec,
    If you will look on the BGE charcoal bag you will see that Maple is one of the woods inside so it must be OK for cooking.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    MikeO,
    Maple also produces a wonderful reddish color on light colored meats. We do have a common theme here, we keep talking about Sugar Maple. I know that Sugar Maple works well, however there are many different types of maple. If you are unsure what type you have, try some and if you like it then great, if not then in the fireplace it goes and nothing is lost
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Hey, Anthony Up North,
    We had almost 4 minutes of sunlight today! JCA