Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire brick for indirect cooking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to do 6# Boston Butt on large bge. I couldnl't find thin brick (or l/2 brick} so I have big ones and they are quite heavy.My question is: could they be too heavy or hurt the bge by being this heavy?? [p][p][p][p]advance.[p][p]

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ray Price, not going to hurt the egg but they do take up more space. Be sure your thrmometer does not stick down too far.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Ray Price,
    That is a lot of mass, and you will use a ton of lump. Why not use just a drip pan on the main grate?? And a v-rack, or a second grate to keep the meat elevated over the drip pan?? That'll suit you fine. What is your goal with the firbricks?[p]just wonderin'
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Ray Price, you can do your Boston with just a drip pan with water for a barrier. Since your doing a low and slow approach at 250F or less, you don't need too much barrer..You can use the larger brick just to support a extra grill over the drip pan arrangement. This will allow you a full air/smoke environment around the meat.
    Those large firebricks are IMHO too much mass to try and heat altho, I have never used em. There is a sheet metal brick combo sold by GrillMaster called Hot Bricks.. I have them but never used them yet. Might be a good time tonight with pizza..
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy, your on course..I doubled on top of ya...SRI.
    C~W

• Ray Price,
    these guys are right on track with the drip pan and v rack. Just did a 8 # butt and it turned out perfect. It provides all the barrier you need, but do cover your pan with foil (unless you enjoy scraping black goo off).[p]Egg on[p]tember

• Nature Boy, your on course..I doubled on top of ya...SRI.
    C~W

• Wise One
    Options
    tember2, your foil suggestion is quite warranted. Last time I spent three days alternately soaking and scraping to get it clean. Also, remember to cover both sides of the pan. The smoke on the outside is almost as hard to clean as the black goo on th einside. Of course, you could just use an aluminum disposable pan and be done with it.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Wise One,DISPOSABLE ALUMINUM?????!!!??!?!?!?!?![p]HORRORS!!!!!!! [p]The palate curls.[p] <s>

• hounddog
    Options
    hounddog was smiling when he said that

• Wise One
    Options
    hounddog, actually I even cover my disposable pans with aluminum foil and try to get five or six cooks out of them rather than just one. Of course, I'm probably throwing out an even dollars' value of aluminum when I toss the covering. All I know is that my wife told me I coul dnot spend three days soaking my dirty pan in her kitchen sink. (And I refused to let it soak in the tub.) :-)

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Char-Woody, going to Sedalia Friday anything I should no or watch out for?[p]CWM
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, Just them outlaws that were badges down there. They get real cantakerous..! Specially those with the last name of Shaw! Wiffys relatives..:-)
    C~W[p]

• hounddog
    Options
    Wise One, I do the same thing, except the dogs usually get hold of the things and tear them up when I am not looking, so i usually don't make 5 cooks

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wise One,
    I get 20 or 30 cooks out of each of the disposable pans. Go through some heavy duty aluminum foil, but the drip pans hold up great. I just bend em back in shape each time, and reline with foil. those things are freakin amazing.[p]The wonderful things life has to offer....and those kind folks over at the disposable aluminum drip pan factory.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ