Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Garden Thread

Options
I was asked to start a new thread for us garden enthusiasts to show our garden and help each other with issues. It is not in OT as the fruits get egged. Carry on @Jeremiah

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Testing the new (to me) picture insert feature. Previous photos were not showing up right...
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Awesome @Eoin! I am looking into a hobby greenhouse to place beside my shed in a nice and sunny spot that is currently occupied by weeds. Got a lot of work to do over there first, so likely wont happen until next year. Great setup!
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Awesome @Eoin! I am looking into a hobby greenhouse to place beside my shed in a nice and sunny spot that is currently occupied by weeds. Got a lot of work to do over there first, so likely wont happen until next year. Great setup!
    The greenhouse came with the house, which we bought in 2005.  It wasn't installed very well and was shaded by the house - the path in the picture is roughly aligned North - South, the picture facing South.

I relocated it to a sunnier spot and made a simple base of green oak boards 6" x 2" round the perimeter and 4" x 4" posts to anchor them.  That way there was no actual building work involved, so a quick and simple install. The slab path is just on a shallow bed of sand.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice @Eoin!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the warm weather melted the snow back three feet in the last week, should be soon =) hoping the garlic doesnt pop up too early
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Potatoes are in, lettuces this weekend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    First tomatoes went into existing tanks yesterday.  Need to get a few more beds and containers with drip set up in next few weeks for the rest of it.  As long as we don't get killed by frost, we'll easily have a second planting of tomatoes in summer.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great. Thanks chubbs. Can't wait to start this year.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @Eoin
    I like that a lot.  I hope to do something like that in the future.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I'm jumping in at the start here. Pictures of our greenhouse (as also requested by @kl8ton on the other thread). Just dug in a load of rotted manure, compost from our household waste and moss peat to bulk up the soil a bit. This will be filled with chilli and tomato plants, which need to be under glass in our cool climate. Seeds into trays indoors next week. Greenhouse is 16' x 8'.

how many fireplaces stoves in that house, that chimney looks big enough for a neighborhood bakery =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I'm jumping in at the start here. Pictures of our greenhouse (as also requested by @kl8ton on the other thread). Just dug in a load of rotted manure, compost from our household waste and moss peat to bulk up the soil a bit. This will be filled with chilli and tomato plants, which need to be under glass in our cool climate. Seeds into trays indoors next week. Greenhouse is 16' x 8'.

how many fireplaces stoves in that house, that chimney looks big enough for a neighborhood bakery =)
    It's 2 houses, the dividing line is the painted / brick line on the gable end to the right. Our 'half' is at least double the side of the other house as it has multiple extensions / alterations, the other house is exactly as it was built in 1910. An old couple live in the next door house, he has lived there since the 1950s and until his health went down hill he was nearly self sufficient in fruit and veg.

There are 10 stacks, 2 at the front and 3 at the back for each house. 1 for each of the main rooms as per the original layout. We just use 2 of our 5.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Great. Thanks chubbs. Can't wait to start this year.
    I can't wait for you to start either.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Eoin said:

That is very nice. Most jealous of you folks who have the room to do this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eoin
    Options

@northGAcock I always thought that outside of the big cities you get a lot more space in the USA than here in the UK.  We are in Lincolnshire, one of the lowest population densities in England, so it is more common to be able to get a big plot out here, but even here it is becoming rarer as new housing developments have to comply with Government rules about density - cram as many shoe boxes as you can into as small a space as you can. Lots of people don't want big plots either, too much work, they would rather sit around and watch soap operas after work than be out in the fresh air.

• Eoin
    Options
    Already had tomato seeds, got a batch of chilli seeds in the post today. I used mynown seeds for chilli plants last year, but want some additional varieties this time.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Testing the new (to me) picture insert feature. Previous photos were not showing up right...
    Chubbs,

I'll have some questions when I can plant in three months if the frost is out by then. ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Options
    Sounds good @Little Steven
  • Chubbs
    Options

Eoin said:
    Already had tomato seeds, got a batch of chilli seeds in the post today. I used mynown seeds for chilli plants last year, but want some additional varieties this time.

Eoin said:

Very cool seeds!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Got potatoes, kale, romaine, and spinach in today. Also started seeds indoors for all of my tomatoes and peppers
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Anyone else have one of these growing in their back yard? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I repotted my tomatoes and Thai Hot peppers then put them back under the grow light for now. If all goes right then they will be in the ground April 1st. 

Eoin, what's with all the hot pepper seeds? Trying to compensate for the frigid climate?
  • Eoin
    Options
    I repotted my tomatoes and Thai Hot peppers then put them back under the grow light for now. If all goes right then they will be in the ground April 1st. 

Eoin, what's with all the hot pepper seeds? Trying to compensate for the frigid climate?
    We use a lot of chilli and I like growing them. Excess at harvest time gets made into pickles / sauces or dried for the winter.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Propagator up and running. Making an effort to start early but with a better plan.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I was asked to start a new thread for us garden enthusiasts to show our garden and help each other with issues. It is not in OT as the fruits get egged. Carry on @Jeremiah

First question up.  How do you prevent or control the weeds.  My garden is 20x20.  What do you guys do?
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Mulch heavily. I buy a couple straw bales and mulch with that. It's light, and keeps the moisture in the soil. 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I can only seem to do herbs in pots, that's okay as Ogden has a great farmer's market.  This last fall I got lazy and didn't dump out the pots, but just pulled them into my enclosed but unheated back porch (house roof overhead, cement floor, large windows facing west).  
    One pot had my chives and my sage as "roommates", (bought more herbs than I had pots) and a few weeks ago I noticed the sage still looked alive (green and supple leaves).  I gave the pot a large glass of water, and the chives sprang back to life also!  
    We had a couple weeks of single-digit temps this winter, that back porch gets comfortable on sunny afternoons but it was definitely below freezing on many mornings, but (at least) those two herbs survived; I wouldn't have expected that.  
    So, my herb garden is started, anyway.   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Chubbs
    Options
    kdink said:
    Chubbs said:

First question up.  How do you prevent or control the weeds.  My garden is 20x20.  What do you guys do?
    Mine are all raised beds. I put down cardboard first then the beds, then filled up a third, then a layer of weed fabric then full rest way up
  • Eoin
    Options
    kdink said:
    Chubbs said:

Lots of weeding. Mulching with bark chippings works and won't cost much for 20 x 20.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    For you folks that mulch, does it have to come up/raked up at the end of the season, or spaded into the ground, or.....?

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.