Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a 9# Pork Butt and can't decide who to listen to

Options
I have about twelve hours to cook.  It's a nine pound Boston Butt, so 12 hours is just under the 13.5 that the rule of thumb for butts cooking in 1.5/pound.  So, I am thinking 12 hours at 275 should do it.

I am planning on injecting (for the first time ever) and a rub, smoking with pecan.  

Anyone have suggestions since I seem to be compromising between turbo cooking and slow smoking?

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Options
    275 is fine not near turbo heat but I would caution you 12 hours still might not be enough time. If you can start earlier at all I would and then FTC if done early. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    See your duplicate post.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Beaumonty
    Options
    I realized I was in the cook book forum, so went to the general forum.  Appreciate the advice.

My major problem is that i can monitor for the first six hours but not the last part due to a game...

i've smoked enough that i thought a butt would be most forgiving for cooking too long, but now i am worried it'll be too short.  I'm in a pickle, but i'll have meat eventually!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I don't think you will run long if you are stable at the 270-300*F window on a calibrated dome.  You can certainly get a sense of where you are before going "dark".  If there is anyone around who can let you know the status during your absence that should ease the angst.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I've no idea what your schedule is,  but I've held butts for close to 6 hours with a heavy wrap of foil and lots of towels and still be too hot to handle. The stall can be a real b]tch on schedules. Any way you can cook early and hold it?  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies